Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 01 v star 650, it's been having a lot of trouble shifting into second, it will grind really hard or sometimes not shift at all and every once in a while it will slip out of gear immediately after shifting. I've always done all my own maintenance and am pretty comfortable doing so, but I've never gone that far in, so I just want to know before I start, will a new input and output shaft be likely to solve my problem and willi have to remove the entire engine to complete this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,991 Posts
Thommm, I’m sorry I can’t be much because I haven’t gone that deep. However I’m counting on someone that has will chime in.
Les, what you suggest, or anyone that has tackled this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I would look at the shifting forks and shifting drum. This will do exactly what you are describing

·
Registered
99 Roadie
590 Posts
"Grinding" and hard to get in gear can be a clutch that is dragging badly or a problem with the external or internal shift linkage or shift drum and forks.
Jumping out of gear is usually caused by rounded dogs on a set of gears. That engine is in a set of vertically split cases.
It's a job for an experienced tech.
Transmission can be sent to R&D Motorsports in Clearwater FL. For undercutting if the dogs are damaged.
Input and output shafts are probably not hurt. You might find bent shift forks.
Sounds like there may be more than one thing going on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for all your help, once I get something else to drive I'm just gonna start ripping it apart! Wish me luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts