Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,087 Posts
@Squabeggz that is quite the slide, glad you faired well brother.

Reactions: Squabeggz

·
Registered
2009 vstar 950, 2014 Bolt r-spec (R.I.P.)
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@Squabeggz that is quite the slide, glad you faired well brother.
It'a a bit like measuring fish...likely an exaggeration on my part, but i'll be damned if it didn't seem like a 10 minute slide. 70 was the approx witness account of my entry speed, so yeah...dumbass checking in (and thankfully not checked out). I've taken that curve nearly every day for the last 4+ years on that bike...one small lapse in judgement...damn. Thanks for all the support and well wishes, strangers. (y)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Trying to get back on track and get my mind off the past. Been trying to scrub the gasket surfaces clean so I can put this thing back together. I'm not sure if i should be able to get all of these markings off or not. A plastic pick or my nail does not hang up on any of them and scrubbing with chemicals or soda blasting doesn't seem to really be getting it off anymore. I don't want to scrub too hard and create a leaker. Anybody have experience with similar?

Cylinder/Head surface

This one could probably be a bit better still...This is a case half for the base gasket.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,176 Posts
The surfaces look good.

If the surface is too smooth, the gasket will have less "grip" and may leak; if the surface is too rough, the gasket will have a difficult time conforming to surface imperfections and may also leak. Surface finish can be checked using a surface finish comparator or a profilometer.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, I finally got back out into the garage, now that my wounds have healed up a bit more. I just couldn't let it go with the staining left on the surfaces. WD-40 and a green scrubby was the trick there. I probably was a bit less gun-shy on the pressure as well.

One more WD scrub followed by one more bath in the solvent tank and I guess I'll start putting this thing together....hopefully.

Soon....

·
Administrator
15,092 Posts
for the belt tracking to the outside, someone on here put a shim behind the pulley nut so that the belt at the front pulley is pushed out a little further which somehow then causes the belt on the rear pulley to track closer to the bike. i think it's unnecessary since all the problems attributed to the drivetrain of this bike is from belt tension and front pulley nuts not being torqued correctly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Too hot to fish, so I decided to cook myself out in the garage again. Motivated by @Thecumaeansibyl and his rebuild...time to get back at it.
UGH...the project corner is getting full.

Scrub a dub dub...what a pain. At least the 950 case halves fit nicely in my Horror Fright solvent tank. Not the most fun task when it is 103° out.

Hot dog assistant cant wait for cooler days back out on the water. (I am not one to dress up my dog, but it's a cooling vest. You get it wet and it keeps them cool. Just like those cooling neck gaiters. He hates putting it on, but loves the result)

Got the cases sealed and bolted back together complete with a new used transmission. Just letting it set up and dry now. No pic of that due to Yamabond all over everything, lol...Not as messy as rebooting CV axles with grease though.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,087 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I would never survive in a professional mechanic environment. I. am. slooooow.
Anyways, Bottom end is all glued up and set. New transmission shifts, so yay...didn't mess that up.

Should have looked harder for black "yamabond" oh well, you cant really see the seam in the bike anyway. Maybe I'll take a sharpie to it lol. Just bugs me.
I have since cleaned it up a bit and it's not really that bad.

Clutch side guts...Nothing is torqued or staked yet...it is incredibly easy to bump the shift lever and pop it out of it's slot which requires taking the clutch basket off etc.

Flywheel guts back in.

I've got the cylinders all cleaned up, which leaves the heads. I've gone this far, I figured I had better tear into them and clean those up too. Was gonna tackle that this weekend but forgot I'm out of soda for the blaster...then work got in the way. Hopefully get those cleaned up this week and put the rest of this thing together. (I have a feeling I still need some parts, so we will see what happens).

·
11,176 Posts
Looking good. For future knowledge, Right Stuff makes a black RTV, I use this stuff all the time. Seals really going.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I almost got that and talked myself out of it. I'll have to pick some up for some of my other projects.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Guess I should update this...
Got a new bag of soda and attacked the heads.
From this...

To this...

Cleaned up the valves, Lapped them to their respective seats. Kerosene test...FAIL!!!
Pulled everything apart, lapped the valves a bit more...Kerosene test...PASS! whew.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
With the heads done, time to move along. Pistons in...pin clips on this thing are a HUGE pain in the crease.

Cylinders on. You can see where I got lazy with my masking job on the top. Soda will take the color off this thing. Oh well, you'll never see it under the head.

Once everything was all cleaned up, puttiing it back together went pretty quick. No spare parts!! (I'm aware of the open hole in the cylinders...i've been waiting on those 2 gaskets for 2 weeks now. I can move on for now though).

Now....time to clean the spiderwebs out of the frame...

·
11,176 Posts
Might just be a shadow, but is head picture before or after lapping? Portions of false seat area looks a little rough. Other than that, looking good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Lifting the bike for engine install. I set it up on a coulple of jackstands in the rear and some bricks up front. Tie the bars back to keep it from walking off the bricks up front.

Here you can see my sketchy lift setup. Works perfectly though.

Engine on a 1500 lb lift table. Lift it to the appropriate height and it literally just rolled right in. One man job. (wife helped me walk the engine onto the lift table...260lbs is too much for my broken back...which is even worse since hitting the turf at 70mph).

Subframe back in and all torqued up with loctite. (It is past my helpers dinner time)

...Next up...cables and hoses. Should be fun.

·
11,176 Posts
Good idea on getting motor / engine in. Keep us updated.

Reactions: Jspree

·
Registered
2009 VStar 950 Tour XVS95C 87678 Miles
28 Posts
Good write up. Carbon was a little heavy. Possibly cheap fuel, too many short trips or too low rpm for extended periods of time. So when you get it back together, top tier fuel and drive it like you stole it. ;)
I would suggest only running Ethanol-free fuel, I started running it in my daily commuter Star 950 tour a month ago, I was forced to fill up with an ethanol blend and noticed the difference in about 5 miles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'll bet anything that the previous owners just used the cheap stuff. I know for a fact that the last owner (my co-worker) sourced the cheapest prices and bought the lowest octane. I'll at least run premium and from a reputable pump. This bike also has an aftermarket set of V&H pipes. I'll be opening up the air box as well. I'm planning on seeing if my Ivan tuned ECU from my wrecked Bolt will swap over to this bike (probably some silly little incompatibility but if not...score!). If my ECU doesn't work, then this stock ECU will promptly be sent to Ivan.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts