Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Registered
2009 vstar 950, 2014 Bolt r-spec (R.I.P.)
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
LOL. You would think that, but then I get to tinkering and boom...2 steps back, but not really. I figure if I have it this torn apart, I had sure as heck go through ALL the systems. Wheels off and braking system tear down now. FYI...Bolt brake pads fit the 950 v-star. At least some of the parts I bought for my dead Bolt can be re-purposed. I love it when companies do that stuff...it's just smart. Cant wait to see if my Ivan's ECU works. Same exact engine. Only thing I can figure is the instruments are different, so that might be a hiccup. I will post video of the start up attempts for sure.

also...that box that says "Oil rags" is NOT for soiled rags...before anyone barks at me :D

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll bet anything that the previous owners just used the cheap stuff. I know for a fact that the last owner (my co-worker) sourced the cheapest prices and bought the lowest octane. I'll at least run premium and from a reputable pump.
you are definitely more mechanically inclined than i am with my 950 which begs the question - why premium? the compression ratio 9.0:1 calls for 87 octane, or whatever grade regular is locally, and is recommended by Yamaha.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
My carbon buildup was a little much for 30k miles. Not lugging the engine and running higher octane was suggested for keeping the carbon down after rebuild. I only ran 85 in my Bolt and it ran fine...I also never lugged it around slowly (hmm...why did I low side on that curve again? lol ugh). Unfortunately I never got the chance to see how much carbon built up in that engine though.

Probably the biggest factor is buying reputable fuel...I don't think I'll be putting the 85 in this thing now, unless in a pinch. I agree with your 87. My 4runner is 24years old and loves the 85, so to me 87 is premium :D

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
This is not my garage!!!!
Runs great. Plenty of power. I swear it seems faster and more powerful than my Bolt...then again, I haven't ridden in the 4 months since I destroyed that poor bike. The only leaks are from the oil filter not being quite tight enough (derp) and I overfilled the front brake reservoir during the flush (derp)....I'll take that result every. single. time.

There is a bit of popping on decel, but it is also running a stock ECU and airbox with a very free flowing (and LOUD) exhaust. I need to send this ECU to Ivan this winter. FYI...my Ivan's Bolt ECU sadly did not work on this bike...wont even start. That ECU is for sale btw...I'll post it up appropriately later. It will work on ALL Bolts, but not 950 V-stars. (same engine dangit).
I wish I could post video here. Bike sounds awesome. Rides great. The only thing I need to do is align the wheels a bit better...I hate crooked bars....also, my stupid windshield vibrates like crazy at the lock attachment arm...Bike is loud enough, I suppose I can deal with it.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
how much money do you think you saved by doing all the work yourself instead of taking it to a mechanic? at what point did you realize you were going to have to completely take the engine part?
I bought the bike knowing I had to split it. Bought the bike for 1100. Just under 500 in parts. Being willing to do it myself was the difference in this bike being on the road again or in the parts bin. Labor around here is anywhere from 60-90/hour (at least for cars). Before he sold it to me, my coworker did take it to a shop to get an estimate...well over 3k (for a bike he bought used for around 3500).

I wanted a project, saw the potential to resell after. If nothing else, i learned a few things and got a nice running bike out of the process. It wasn't really difficult, it was mostly just time consuming making sure everything was cleaned and up to spec before putting it all back together.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.