Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I start to look for the wires for the turn, stop and running lights to install the Tri -Star XP turn signal to brake light conversion module? Has anybody attempted this?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Does it have a factory type plug on it? If not Corsa tecnic has the pins and a nice assortment of plugs to make your own. I installed the Kuryakn one and it fits nicely under the seat. You can get a copy of the factory service manual here..Manualslib.com Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have a factory type plug on it? If not Corsa tecnic has the pins and a nice assortment of plugs to make your own. I installed the Kuryakn one and it fits nicely under the seat. You can get a copy of the factory service manual here..Manualslib.com Good luck!
This unit does not have the plug. The connections must be individually spliced and that is what I am hesitant about. It just will not be easily undone. I suppose I could purchase the plugs but what style/type are the plugs?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,481 Posts
Slicing wires can be done easily without concern of a good connection. These butt connectors come with solder within a shrink wrap housing. A heat gun or lighter is all you need. On any connections that are subject to water infiltration I strongly recommend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks once again for the info. I am a regular at Harbor Freight and I have missed those connectors somehow. I will definitely get some of those.
I looked under the seat and I see what I believe to be the wiring harness but it certainly doesn’t have any slack to make splicing very easy, I just don’t want to muck it up.

·
5,481 Posts
Use a test light to probe the wire to confirm its the correct one before cutting. If you have found a particular wire, let's say right turn signal, probe wire, turn on right signal, the test light should flash. If you need wiring diagram it's the last few pages of repair manual.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Slicing wires can be done easily without concern of a good connection. These butt connectors come with solder within a shrink wrap housing. A heat gun or lighter is all you need. On any connections that are subject to water infiltration I strongly recommend.

View attachment 91657
Hey Les! How would you like the fabulous opportunity to 'help' install a Tri-Star XP Backoff unit? 🤪

·
5,481 Posts
No problem, shoot me a message later in week to see how weekend looks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I did a quick search on ebay. I found a Kuryakyn 4612 kit there for about 65.00. The wiring under the seat is tight. Splicing could be done easily enough but space is limited. The only issue I had with my Kuryakyn kit is the brown and blue wires needed to switch locations in the plugs. I ended up breaking the retaining tab on the pin so it would not stay in the plug. The kit, other than the wire location change is plug and play. If you have the time and the patience do the splice. If not that confident order the Kuryakyn kit. It is a nice upgrade and it does help light up the rear of the bike. Corsa technic has a nice assortment of plugs and pins. There is another site called cycleterminal.com link attached Motorcycle Terminals, Connectors, and Wiring Accessories. They have a good collection of plugs also.

·
Registered
764 Posts
@Pghpilot I found this post from when I did my upgrade. Hope it helps!
Found the pin. Details below:
Sumitomo is the manufacturer.
Pin is a HD 090 male.
Cost .10 each
2 sources Corsa Technic and Cycleterminal

If you are looking for connectors or plugs they seem to be great sources.

Ride safe...Ride often!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Pretty sure. I will log on to my amazon account and have a look. The kit is no longer available through Kuryakyn. I guess the universal kit is the only option now unless you find one by scouring the net for one.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yep a 4612 kit, 7507 LED bulbs for the rear lights and I got my rear lens covers from Custom Dynamics. I tried the Kurakyn ones and they did not fit. Tried nightshades paint first on the clear rear lens...That was a fail so I ordered the new covers from Custom Dynamics. They fit perfect.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I finally installed the Tri Star XP R/B/T module on my bike. It was not to difficult, I did the splice method. It just kills me to cut into the factory wiring. Every thing works as it should and now I am waiting for my red bulbs, they are on a slow boat........you guessed it from China.

·
5,481 Posts
Sounds great. Did you use shrink tubing to waterproof the slices?

·
Registered
764 Posts
So I finally installed the Tri Star XP R/B/T module on my bike. It was not to difficult, I did the splice method. It just kills me to cut into the factory wiring. Every thing works as it should and now I am waiting for my red bulbs, they are on a slow boat........you guessed it from China.
Awesome! Did you get just the bulbs or did you get new red lenses as well? I tried painting mine with some night shades red paint but I did not like the look so I took advice from keith post and got some from custom dynamics. They match the factory brake light lens. I think it gives the bike a nice finished look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts