Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bike at the shop for a carb sync and drive line maintenance. Noticed that when I picked it up, the trip meter was 0. I had around 90 miles on it when I dropped it off. Figured they pulled the tank and unplugged it. No big deal. Went for a ride and meter worked, and miles stayed after shutting off and restarting. Went for a ride today, and it was back at zero. I'm going to pull the seat off and check the plug. Any other suggestions? I assume it uses the main battery for memory and not a dedicated battery.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've noticed that when I pull the ignition fuse the trip miles reset to zero which suggests that the memory is supported by the main battery. I'm not a technician, but my guess is that as the bike cools down after running, the cooling causes an 'open' in the wiring to the trip meter that you will have to trace and repair. Sorry I can't be more helpful. My knowledge is really limited about such things.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally had a little time to do some investigating. The red/blue wire that is the constant hot, according to the wiring diagram, was pushed out of the harness about 2/3 of the way. I pushed it in from the rear with a small screwdriver and then pulled it through with needle nose pliers until in snapped in. Put it back together and went for a ride. Looks like that was the culprit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts