Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I am looking to plan a 3-4 trip on the bike this coming summer. This will me my first time taking an extended trip on the bike.
What are some of the thing you guys plan for on a extended roadtrip? It all seems very easy to plan, but I am sure everybody here will bring up several points I have not considered. One specific thing is, I am not comfortable with the thought of leaving my bike in a hotel parking lot overnight. They are far to easy to load up and drive off with.

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey guys - I am looking to plan a 3-4 trip on the bike this coming summer. This will me my first time taking an extended trip on the bike.
What are some of the thing you guys plan for on a extended roadtrip? It all seems very easy to plan, but I am sure everybody here will bring up several points I have not considered. One specific thing is, I am not comfortable with the thought of leaving my bike in a hotel parking lot overnight. They are far to easy to load up and drive off with.

Any suggestions would be great!
My wife, myself and our riding friends cruise to the shore a few times a summer for the weekend. Here are my simple tips...

Pack light. Necessities only and a variety of clothes for warmer or cooler riding times. RAIN GEAR! I have never had any issues parking my bike around any hotel lots...YET! Use a simple inexpensive lock for the front brake rotor available at most dealers/bike shops. They won't be able to push it too far if someone decides to play around with it. Most street cruisers are too heavy for anyone to easliy load it in a truck. I have a good ramp and I need 2 friends to help with it. It's just not that easy. Above all, don't let your worries take over your trip. Get out, enjoy the ride and have a great time!

The big benefit of having a bike, is being able to park it in more visible or higher traffic spaces which aids in your peace of mind. Usually less chance of it being messed with in a higher traffic space around a hotel/motel entranceway. Plus you get to soak in all the compliments and ogling by people passing by it. Most facilities will allow it to be parked in spaces a vehicle will obviously not fit. Just ask nicely.

P.S...don't forget your toothbrush. The motel clerk will look at ya funny with all them bugs in your teeth HAAA HAAAA!!!!:p

http://www.bikebandit.com/master-lock-chrome-disc-brake-lock

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
+1 Dirk well said. When you make motel reservation just let them know your traveling on your scooter and they will try and get you a ground level room. Hopefully with parking right outside your window or door. Just have fun be safe and keep the shiny side up.

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
don't pack light. there's only so much you can actually pack on a bike so you want to pack as much and as smart as you can. bring cool and warm clothes. sunscreen. even though it may be cold, you will be exposed to direct sunlight for large portions of the day. stay hydrated. grab frequent drinks throughout the day at gas stops. make sure you're well prepared on eyewear. check your tire pressure before heading out and at least once during your trip. good idea to get an oil change beforehand if you're almost due. while you're at it, check your brakes.

rain gear.
batteries for electronics.
map/GPS.
don't be afraid to deviate from your plan or route every now and then. some of the best parts about bike trips can be accidentally finding cool places by just wandering around. with that said, don't overplan. don't get too specific about all the places and times you want to keep and see. you're not on a business trip with an itinerary to keep. agreed with parking in well lit and public places. just because you're away from home doesn't mean you're that much more prone to getting ripped off than you are in your home town.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
All good points, I might add to take a small notebook and list what you have packed, and you will no doubt add to that list on your trip( I wish I brought______ fill in the blank) Refer to it on your next trip. Also it's nice to make notes at the end of the day(where you went, what you saw, miles ridden, good motel or not ect.)

After years of trips I still refer back to all notes, fun reading.

Have a fun and safe trip:) Ride Safe:cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a lot of great info here. Thanks alot guys and gal!

"don't get too specific about all the places and times you want to keep and see. you're not on a business trip with an itinerary to keep."

Bevo - Not looking to make this mistake, I do enough travel for business as it is. I am just wanting to point the bike north, south, east or west and see where I end up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't like to leave my bike in a parking lot open to the public at any point in time especially overnight.

Hotels can be fairly accommodating. I took a weekend trip to Hocking Hills, and unfortunately it rained half the time I was there. But, the hotel let all motorcyclists park their motorcycles under the covered area at the front entrance.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If your planning the trip with your spouse then make sure you don't forget her/him. That makes for a looooong (and louzy) trip:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts