Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just took the upper triple tree off and noticed some odd looking nuts. Now there must be some sort of fancy tool to use to take these nuts off, but before I do that...

-Is it ok to take them off with channel locks?
-Is there a specific torque/position that these need to be tightened to when replaced?

Thanks dudes!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have used a cold chisel and hammer (lightly) to start getting them loose. Something not as pointed as a cold chisel will work better. You can buy a fancy tool if you want to.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The first one holds the triple tree and the top one keeps that one from loosening. There's a technical way to determine how "tight" they should be, but I always do them so that slight pressure causes them to shift side-to-side. To loose and you'll have "chatter". Too tight and it will be hard to turn.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mick, I just used Birchy Boy's method but with a flathead and a hammer. Came right off.

NOW, how do I take the column off from the bottom tree? I see a small hole in the backside of the tree, thought it might be some sort of allan bolt lock but I'm not sure.

I really appreciate the feedback guys!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks Mick, I just used Birchy Boy's method but with a flathead and a hammer. Came right off.

NOW, how do I take the column off from the bottom tree? I see a small hole in the backside of the tree, thought it might be some sort of allan bolt lock but I'm not sure.

I really appreciate the feedback guys!
Just curious why you need to take the stem off the lower tree? Is it damaged? If not....I can;t think of reason why you'd need to disassemble it.

I'm pretty sure that is a roll pin for safety and that the stem is factory press fit into the tree. You may damage the tree in disassembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts