Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and was hoping for some guidance. I have a 2003 Vstar 1100 classic (original Owner). I have a K&N air filter kit and Hard Krome Big Straights. My bike has been re-jetted to accomodate my set up and altitude. I live at 7500 ft above sea level.

Recently my bike has not been starting well and this has never happened before.

when I try to start it the motor starts to turn over and then it stops turning and there is a persistent clicking sound (until I let go of the starter).

The last time this happened (2 weeks ago), I gave the bike a rest for 10 minutes and it started fine.

Today the problem happened again but it won't start. The engine turns over a couple of times then the clicking noise.

Any ideas for me?

thanks,

Alty

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sounds like a battery that's starting to go bad. Is it turning a little slow? Put a meter across the battery with the key off and see what it reads VDC. Should be about 12.6 VDC. Turn the key on and see if voltage drops, it shouldn't. Try to start it, a true load test, and see if the Voltage drops, it may a little as it takes a lot of amperage to turn starter. I think the clicking that you are hearing is the Starter Relay closing and opening because the voltage is dropping too much.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Bad cell in the battery, happened to me last January. Then again it could be something else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm with the battery suspects. I have a brand new Odessy in my 2000 Silverado 1600and vibration loosened mine. A quick tightning solved the problem. I also use a battery tender. Not so important in the summer/warm to hot weather but a must in the fall/winter and spring cool/cold weather. Bye the way, I'm pretty much at sea level but my bike started fine in Sturgis this year. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery!!

So the voltage when I checked the battery 12.00 volt- well below the 12.6.
When I turned the key and the lights came on the voltage dropped to 11.5.

So I am replacing the battery.

thanks for the awesome help.

Alty

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
No Problem it's what we do..

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd charge the battery and load test it. If you have a loose wire the battery won't charge. It probably is the battery but you should check it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You do not say the age of your battery, but Sugar Bear has found 2-3 years is mostly the life of one, may be a bit radical here, but for piece of mind, I change it out every 2-3 years if it is workin good or not, saves me a lot of grief. Lots depends on how you maintain it on the off season. Just the way I handle that problem:) Ride safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
battery age

My bike is an '03 and this is my second battery. I don't remember exactly when I last changed the battery, but I am guessing over 3 years ago. Kinda of out of sight out of mind.

I probably just should have changed it to begin with but it seemed that is was ok (I was naive!) because the lights came on full strength and the motor was turning over, initially.

Alty

·
Registered
5 Posts
MY Bike Wont Start

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this. i also have a v star but its an 03 and a 650cc. i bought the bike with 4,500 miles and now i have about 8,000. recently when i go to turn on the bike, it wont start. i hear the starter moving but it wont begin to idle. as i press the ignition button, the bike wants to turn on but then i hear a kind of loud noise that makes the whole bike move slightly forward. i try to turn it on about 5-10 times and then i give up. i thought it was the spark plugs and i replaced them but there is no spark on the new plugs. the last ride i went on was for about 350 miles and then the next day the bike wouldn't start. . i actually got it to turn on by the 7th try but it turned off after 3 min. and its not choke. after that ride is when my bike decided to give up on the starting. please help me.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Pick up coil

G3rek,

I'm not sure I follow you. But if I understand. The bike trying to move forward when the starter is running; Maybe this is just the clutch dragging a little. Try starting in neutral.

No spark; Be sure the battery is charged. If the voltage falls to low you may not get a spark.

If the battery is OK something to look at might be the pick up coil if neither spark plug has spark. Link to checking pick up coil.

http://650ccnd.com/coil.htm

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
MY Bike Wont Start

WoW... thanks for the tips and the links. I am going to do a run through tonight. i have an ohms meter to check the battery. extremely helpful. :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
G3 your battery should be about 12.6 VDC key off. Then try it with the key on this will power the ignition and lights should remain about the same. Then depress starter button and see if voltage drops, load test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bike started!

Just wanted to let everyone know- changed my battery this morning and the bike started first try. It was beautiful.

Now I have to change the oil, spark plugs, check the valve clearance, change the back tire etc.

Love my bike!

Alty

·
Registered
5 Posts
bike started!

hey alty, if you get a chance, can you give me a step by step on how to check the valve clearance? i wanna know if i need to remove the gas tank along with the surg tank? i just recharged mybattery. im going to install the battery now. thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Valves

thanks GW,
I have that PDF, but did not remember where I got it.

Valves are easy to deal with, just time consuming until you get used to the whole process.

Alty

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That was for G3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts