Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my roadie this morning. Turned on the fuel, ignition, run switch, but when I pressed the starter, there was a single audible click and then the bike went completely dead. No headlights, no neutral indicator, nothing. After about three to five minutes Theres a click and everything comes back on. I try to start, one click and it dies again. Please help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
342 Posts
Probably one of 2 things. Either your battery is bad or you have a bad connection. Start by checking all the battery connections and if they are all clean and tight, take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. Most stores will do that for free.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after an afternoon of troubleshooting, I think youre right about a bad battery. A buddy came over (he rides a Harley, poor soul), and we tested the battery. It read 12.3v when the bike was off. Dropped to 10.2 when I turned the ignition and fell to 3.2 and then 1.1 when I pressed the starter. We jumped the bike from his car, let it run for about 15-20 minutes. I turned the bike off, and restarted it. Fired right up, which we thought it would. Waited an hour, and it did the same thing it did before the jump. We figured the cells are bad. Its a sealed battery so we couldn't check acid levels. I'll be driving :( in to town tomorrow to get a new one. I'd have gone today but its my sons first birthday so we celebrated that. Town is a 45 minute drive. Me and my daughter spent the rest of the afternoon washing and polishing. 6 years old and she can now tell me how an internal combustion engine works, and mentioned I should get more shiny parts. I couldn't be prouder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. We will be hitching up the wagon and headed to the general store in town for coffee, sugar, flour, tabacco and some new fabric so Ma can make dresses for her and the girl. Hahahahah. Seems that way at least. Ever been through Barstow?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Best I can remember, I've passed thru Barstow a total of 5 times. This was all back in the late 80's so I'm sure it's changed some now but there didn't used to be much to it. I spent a good bit of time playing in the big sandbox (29 Palms) to the south of Fort Irwin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts