Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

troubles

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  linerdave 
#1 ·
When i pull up to a red light or stop sign Ive noticed my engine is ideling abnormally high and I get the occational back fire out the mufflers when you rev the motor. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Im new to V twins but have been around bikes along time and never seen this before. To me, a high idle would indicate a air leak around the carbs,meaning a lean mixture, but a backfire out the mufflers would indicate a rich mixture in the carbs, How can I get both at the same time?? Could someone help me figure this out?:confused:

#3 ·
idle

Linerdave; Thanks for the reply. With all the valve noise from the motor its hard to tell if the header pipe is leaking. I dont see any soot or carbon on the cylinder jugs. After my last post I rode over to a independant motor cycle mechanic and had him listen to the motor. After the motor backfired a few times he said it was running lean. I thought it was running rich to backfire out the mufflers. Then he said that it could be a TPS sensor on the carb but with out tearing into it he would not know for sure. What gets me is that it only acts up if Ive been riding in the city and the engine running warm, not when im on the highway. That makes me think its sucking air from some where. So today I orderd a CLYMER manuel off the net and when it gets here I will try to figure this thing out, other wise its off to the dealer I goooooooo. $$$$$:eek:

#4 ·
I'm with LinerDave. Get some SeaFoam and run some new gas through it.

#5 ·
idle

I have owned the bike to 2 weeks now. The first thing I did was fill up with priemium gas and put half of a bottle of STP carb cleaner in it.Im now on my second tank of gas and its still running the same way. Maybe I will try the seafoam next. As for a TPS sensor, I didnt even know that a carburated motor would have one. Does that mean my bike has a computer in it? The bike is a 2002 with 7400klms on it. Low mileage for the year, so maybe the carbs are gummed up from sitting too long. Thanks for all the replys and keep them comming, Im open to all suggestions. The dealer will be my last resort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.