Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Iv asked similar things on the GZ250 and honda rebel forums. These are the other 2 bikes I am considering. I really don't want to re-type the 5 paragraph post iv used before so I think ill just ask the questions I still have about the V star since Iv gotten a lot of info about it already.

I think most of these can be answered quite easily by any Vstar or vertigo owner.

#1 is 6.0 to tall for the V star, I know that its to tall for a Rebel and the limit on a GZ250 to be semi comfortable Iv not herd much on the Vstar

#2 It seems like each of the 3 bikes has a major weakness and a major strength. The Rebel gets the best reported MPG out of the 3 some people going as high as 95-100 in some cases but its very small and cold blooded. The GZ250 seems to be the best suited bike for town cruising very comfortable for most people around up to 6.0 hight, but it is very lacking in power top speed being about 70mph. The Vstar from what iv herd is the fastest and most powerful of the bunch being able to reach 85mph without much problem. What however is the vstars weakness? I am not to crazy about how the handle bars look for one but that is a matter of personal taste. I wouldn't be seen riding a purple motorcycle ether. Is the bike to small? Is it to easy to tip over? Higher maintenance? Everything has weaknesses.

#3 I guess Id like to know what your average MPG is on one or what you think it is?

Most importantly I just want to know how the bike fits a 6.0+ tall guy. That is really the major thing I am wondering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did a lot of research into beginner bikes a couple years ago when looking for a first ride for my wife. The nutshell summary of my findings is that if you want a 250, by a very big margin, the best two are the 250 Kawasaki Ninja (if you like sportbike looks and ergonomics) and the Virago 250 (Now Vstar 250) if you like crusier styling and ergos. Both have great brakes, ride, handling, and performance for their size, and excellent MPG. The Suzuki and Hondas (Nighthawk and Rebel) are outdated designs with poor ride, handling, brakes, and suspension. With these, you have a much higher chance of either wanting/needing to trade up ASAP, or loosing interest in motorcycling from not enjoying your ride enough. The Honda's in particular have such bad suspension and brakes as to not only be unfun to drive but much less safe than the many better bikes available.

That said, most of the 250's will be pretty small for a 6 footer. The Virago, Rebel, and Suzuki in particular sit real low and may therefore be too cramped for you to enjoy anything more than very short rides.

So, what did we get for my wife? With no driving experience other than the beginning motorcyclist MSF course, she went right to a used Vulcan 750 and loved it! She's thoroughly addicted to the sensations of riding a good bike now, and after two years and 8000 miles on the Vulcan, has switched to a VStar 950 which she loves even more. As for MPG, driving conservatively at speeds of 45 - 60 MPH, she gets 60+ MPG with the 950. That's less than 1 cent more per mile for gas than the 250 Rebel attempting the same riding - a small price for the huge difference in comfort, safety, performance, and fun.

Good luck, and you might want to read the following review:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/25-caliber-shootout-12930.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldnt even consider a 250 of an type at 6' and a male rider. Buy a 650 vstar and be done with it. It's the best deal you can get in todays bike market and its a great starter bike for anyone including a 5.2' woman. Install a forward control kit for $89 and ride in comfort for years. Take my word for it, you are bored to death with a 250 in 30 days or less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I have to put my entire situation first

Im a college student

I have no job and go to school full time

All my money comes from 3 years of saving up scholarships and grants and left over money from financial aid.

It took me almost 3 years to save up $2600

Yes I could potentially buy a used 600cc bike maybe with a lot of miles (15k+) however id probably end up riding without gear for that since even sub par leatherup.com gear cost around $500 bucks for full body.

So that is why I am considering a 250 bike.

If I wanted a bigger bike It would mean saving for another year maybe 2 if I wanted gear with that.

The financial crisis lowered student aid as well.

I am in the Honors program for psychology at my college and I got the opportunity to work in the summer time 3 weeks for $12/hr IF I can keep my 3.5GPA by then. Which might happen. So yeah my budget is not very big, and I am sick of riding the bus every day.

I guess you could say I am buying this bike almost out of necessity not so much for "pleasure" cruising.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I very much appreciate the financial bind but suggest you look for used bikes and try to find something other than the GZ250 and Rebel unless they are so cheap you can't pass them up. My wife's Vulcan 750 was only 4 years old with 2,700 miles on it for $2700. My son bought a 3 year old Honda Reflex (250 cc skooter) with !,000miles on it for $3000. The Reflex has an automatic tranny, is very comfortable for a 6 footer, does 78MPH (85 on odo), and was in mint condition with a helmet.

I have seen and ridden very good older bikes (10 to 15 years old) with 15,000 miles or less for under $1000. There are deals out there, just keep your eyes open for something that fits you that gets good reviews from experts and experienced riders, not newbies.

Good luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of getting the Hyosung GV250. From reviews it seems to be the best all around 250 cruiser on the market. Comfortable for tall people and plenty of power for highway use if need be. Its also a bit more heavy and higher seat than most 250 cruisers...If I could find one used it would be great. They seem to be rare around south cali though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
that hyusong 250 is an ugly, tiny bike. just my 2 cents. besides that, i would research the brand in depth before you buy. a buddy of mine upgraded from his 250 ninja to the 600 hyusong crotch rocket. within 6 months he had traded it back in. there was a recall on something that "could" lead to the fuel tank catching fire. it was hell trying to get it taken care of, even the dealer he bought it new from was having issues trying to get with the manufacturer to get parts and service. and in addition to that, he typically has most of his work done by a local shop rather than the dealer, well that shop wouldn't touch the thing. the guy told him they'd work on nearly anything but that brand. anyways, i did a lot of research myself as i considered getting their 650 cruiser, love the look, very much like a vrod, but i found a lot of similar stories before even hearing this from my friend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why do you want a bike in the first place? as a good gas mileage vehicle to ride to work? or for weekend trips? the reason I ask is a 250 is a small bike no matter how good it looks and if it is a "starter bike" you will out grow it in a month of riding unless you are only riding a mile or two to work and back and don't want a moped.

Don't get me wrong I love mopeds and small bikes its just for the price as others have said here already, a used 650 or better 1100 will serve you better. I say buy the biggest motor you can afford because unless you have a bunch of friends with small bikes you wont be happy. Good luck and if it is your first bike take a riding lesson. Be safe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Alazar I must have missed the second part of your post where you explain you are a starving student. I know what thats like. but I still think you can get a used bike that you will be happier with. I am 5'9" and that 250 is too small for me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts