Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the ultimate choice is up to me and my tastes but I need some input as to which you all think is a better jacket for riding.

First is an all leather vintage style motorcycle jacket, it comes in multiple colors including yellow. Quilted shoulders not quilted lining as I thought so I'd probably have to wear a thermal henley under it for cold weather riding.

Brown White Black Sleeve Purple

The other is the Xelement one I posted in the daily ride.

I did read at least one review that stated the pockets for the armor pads tend to be big and the pads "float" a little

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
The Xelement jacket shown is mesh.....mucho ventilation. I have one similar for warm weather riding. I wear it all summer, no matter how hot.....as I am convinced keeping the radiant heat from the sunshine off my skin and the ventilation makes wearing the jacket "cooler" (well, not as hot) as no protection. But, below 65°F it will feel like you have no jacket on at all as the cooler wind readily flows through the mesh.

If you are looking for a cool/cold weather jacket I don't think the Xelement shown will provide the warmth you might be looking for.

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Xelement jacket shown is mesh.....mucho ventilation. I have one similar for warm weather riding. I wear it all summer, no matter how hot.....as I am convinced keeping the radiant heat from the sunshine off my skin and the ventilation makes wearing the jacket "cooler" (well, not as hot) as no protection. But, below 65°F it will feel like you have no jacket on at all as the cooler wind readily flows through the mesh.

If you are looking for a cool/cold weather jacket I don't think the Xelement shown will provide the warmth you might be looking for.
I forgot to mention that it has a zip out liner.

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
Nice. Mine didn't come with the liner. Looks a nice one.

But, keep in mind the only thing between you and the cold air is the liner as the outer shell will provide little to no wind break. Everyone's tolerance for heat and cold are obviously different (you should see the amount of stuff my wife puts on once the temperature gets in the 50's and 60's......and I'm blocking most of the wind from her....LOL....) so it goes without saying "your mileage may vary". :)

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
My summer jacket:

Outerwear Sports uniform Jersey Sleeve Bag

I've had two of these. Love them. I'll totally agree with @AlanRides on it actually makes you feel cooler. The liner works OK, but layer with hoodie gives my a lower temp I can use in fall. I never had issue with pads sliding around. I think getting correct size makes a difference.

For fall, winter and spring I have this:

Jeans Product Black Neck Jacket

With zippered vents closed it's warm with the liner. Take liner out and open vents it's not to hot on warmer temperatures. No armor, but great jacket.

For winter:

Outerwear White Light Product Sleeve

This is actually a snowmobile jacket without armor. This thing is warm. I've used down to mid tens and stayed warm. Some will say it's not a motorcycle jacket and won't help in crash, I disagree as I had a chance to test on a 60mph high side earlier this year without and injuries. Did have a few rips, but I did slide a long ways on a chip seal road.

Automotive tire Sleeve Bedrock Grey Road surface

Sleeve Grey Denim Fashion design Pattern

Glasses Outerwear Military camouflage Sleeve Headgear

For me, there's not one jacket that works year round. If I had to choose just one, it would be the mesh with option for layers below it.

· Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Reaction score
I have a similar mesh from Vance and agree with Alanrides comments. I suppose much has to do with where you live. In upper NYS, we can have cool mornings and hot days, and I dont ride in winter, more because of road salt. I have three, the mesh with liner, a heavy denim that doesnt breathe and a heavier full leather.

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a similar mesh from Vance and agree with Alanrides comments. I suppose much has to do with where you live. In upper NYS, we can have cool mornings and hot days, and I dont ride in winter, more because of road salt. I have three, the mesh with liner, a heavy denim that doesnt breathe and a heavier full leather.

Here in the high desert our average daily winter temps are in the upper 40s. While we can occasionally get snow and ice it's rare except up in the mountains and I won't be riding the bike up there during the winter. Our monsoon season runs from mid June to the end of September so that's when you're most likely to get wet which this year has doubled in rainfall mostly keeping the temps moderate in the 80s.

· Registered
10 Posts
Reaction score

Nice! Can you send me the link where I can get the jacket?

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,496 Posts
Reaction score
Here in south east Texas we roll like this.

. View attachment 119533

Just kidding, I like the high Vis Xelement jacket but it looks like it would get dirty and be difficult to clean and end up looking like an old tennis ball.
Some can pull that look off better than others.

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Leather jacket and gloves always. Anything else just looks stupid.
Protection and comfort is the most important thing to me. Most current textile motorcycle specific jackets are actually higher abrasion rated than leather. Looks comes further down my requirements for bike gear.

Reactions: kje54

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
This is what i have, a Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Jacket, size XLT, in Silver, Has 2 removable liners, one quilted winter liner, one for Rain. You can have all the liners in if you want. Plus i got it brand new w/tags on Ebay for $100 best offer.
Fits perfect and i am hard to fit.
Clothing Outerwear White Coat Dress shirt

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
This is what i have, a Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Jacket, size XLT, in Silver, Has 2 removable liners, one quilted winter liner, one for Rain. You can have all the liners in if you want. Plus i got it brand knew w/tags on Ebay for $100 best offer.
Fits perfect and i am hard to fit.
View attachment 119584

I also bought a traditional leather from Ebay used, it's a Wilson's leather that was broken in nicely.
Think is was $100 too. Pic from 9 years ago when i bought it.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel

Pics of the Phoenix Ion Jacket Taken in 2019.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Jeans

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Helmet

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Cloud

· Premium Member
2006 Yamaha 650 V Star Classic Cruiser.
212 Posts
Reaction score
I also bought a traditional leather from Ebay used, it's a Wilson's leather that was broken in nicely.
Think is was $100 too. Pic from 9 years ago when i bought it.
View attachment 119585
View attachment 119586
View attachment 119587

Pics of the Phoenix Ion Jacket Taken in 2019.
View attachment 119588
View attachment 119589
View attachment 119590
The leather looks best. Open face helmets and wrap around dark glasses really do go with leather jacket gloves and boots. The "other" people can wear funny colored full face helmets and jackets.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
The leather looks best. Open face helmets and wrap around dark glasses really do go with leather jacket gloves and boots. The "other" people can wear funny colored full face helmets and jackets.
I have not worn that Full face helmet since i totaled my VTX when i was wearing it, i think the dark shield obstructed my view cutting through that mall parking lot when i hit that curb. It gouged the frame, bike never went down. I rode it 50mi home afterwards. When i showed the pics of the frame to the insurance company, they totaled the bike. :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts