Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
I also wear mismatched socks.........
One thing that stuck in my head during Art class back in HS was i could Karate Chop pieces of wood, as long as i went with the grain of the wood, that, and the concept of "complementary colors".

You want to be noticed while riding for safety reasons, and you will, maybe there is a Football team with those colors for all i know. Its like wearing a striped tie with a checkered shirt to me, or mis-matched socks, like you said.

I just hope cage riders aren't so taken-in by the unlikely contrast in color that they are momentarily stunned.
;)

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
Regardless of color, i like the modular helmets and jackets like the OP showed and i showed. I'll continue to wear either one (leather or meshed) during the winter months which is roughly Nov-Feb. At other times is too dang hot down here imo.

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Regardless of color, i like the modular helmets and jackets like the OP showed and i showed. I'll continue to wear either one (leather or meshed) during the winter months which is roughly Nov-Feb. At other times is too dang hot down here imo.
Well during the summer where you are you don't have to worry about sliding on asphalt as you will most likely sink into it and drown...... If you don't catch on fire first....... Black lava.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
The Meshed Jacket can be worn even in the hotter months too, i've heard of people soaking their tee-shirt and wearing the mesh jacket with no liner at all, bet that's cool. Plus you can "recharge" your tee-shirt on the road, by pouring water on it. Still protected with armor and pads etc.,

I don't have a modular helmet yet btw, if i could find one that can be worn flipped up and in the down position and be like either a full face or open face, it would be great.

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The Meshed Jacket can be worn even in the hotter months too, i've heard of people soaking their tee-shirt and wearing the mesh jacket with no liner at all, bet that's cool. Plus you can "recharge" your tee-shirt on the road, by pouring water on it. Still protected with armor and pads etc.,

I don't have a modular helmet yet btw, if i could find one that can be worn flipped up and in the down position and be like either a full face or open face, it would be great.
I've ridden with mine flipped up a couple of times on short errands, it's no big deal. The one complaint I read about the helmet I have is the tiny screws holding the face shield on will come loose. One guy had it happen on the highway and thought it was going to break his neck when the one side flipped back. I used blue Loctite on mine......... When fully closed up the ventilation is lacking, it's insufficient but that's what ya get when ya buy a ninety dollar helmet.

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
I've done that before with the mesh jacket and it works well, until the water evaporates. Still think keeping the sun off my skin also helps keep me slightly less hot....but you gotta keep moving....

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
Oh, and BTW, I think yellow and red make a great combination. There's a pro football team in Washington (can't remember their name off the top of my head) that is yellowish and maroonish.....close enough.

Good enough for mother nature:
Flower Plant Petal Nature Botany

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
I've done that before with the mesh jacket and it works well, until the water evaporates. Still think keeping the sun off my skin also helps keep me slightly less hot....but you gotta keep moving....
Being meshed you can pour water right through the jacket and be absorbed by the tee-shirt, so adding more water is easy, especially if you have saddlebags and can bring plenty of water.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
Oh, and BTW, I think yellow and red make a great combination. There's a pro football team in Washington (can't remember their name off the top of my head) that is yellowish and maroonish.....close enough.

Good enough for mother nature:
View attachment 119611
Glad you mentioned it, then you have an increased likelihood of Bee Stings! :LOL:

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
That actually happened to me years ago, at freeway speed. Somehow a bee got up under my 3/4 helmet and stung my ear lobe. I thought I had been shot..... Got to our destination (thankfully not far) and when I pulled the helmet off I had a half a bee for an earring. Way before cameras that could make phone calls were around, so I have no evidence. But that smarted...

· Premium Member
2006 Yamaha 650 V Star Classic Cruiser.
212 Posts
Reaction score
When I started riding back in 1971 there was really no full face helmets. There was a few experimental things around to be bought at a huge cost. Everybody rode around with leather gear and open face helmets.
I have found over the years and several motorcycle crashes that this combination of leather and helmet has in no way been detrimental to my survival.

I really enjoy the feeling of freedom riding with an open face helmet . I tried a full face a couple of times but while wearing one of those contraptions I thought that I may as well be inside of a closed up car and decided not to wear a full face helmet ever again. If it rains I have a clear plastic visor in my leather saddle bags that I can clip onto my helmet.

Open face helmets and leather equipment is not for every body but it is what I have always ridden with and they have served me well over my many years of riding.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
Actually, I've done it before myself, just a couple times i recall. The mesh jacket is all synthetic i believe and is unaffected by the water, so pour away...

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Actually, I've done it before myself, just a couple times i recall. The mesh jacket is all synthetic i believe and is unaffected by the water, so pour away...
Now instead of a regular cotton tshirt get a Arctic Cool tshirt and try that. I may try one out when I have $35 to spend. Apparently they've been independently tested and while they won't keep you frosty cool they will keep you noticeably cooler. They come in long sleeved versions also, think those start around $45.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts