Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
You can't look any worst than me, go ahead, laugh. I've got a backpack on in first picture. This was in 2017, notice the 1100 loaded in the background. Second picture in 2019.This is the jacket I mentioned earlier.

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Tree

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

What's cool, these pictures are when I was on vacation in the Texas Hill Country, now I'm retired and living there.

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
You can't look any worst than me, go ahead, laugh. I've got a backpack on in first picture. This was in 2017, notice the 1100 loaded in the background. Second picture in 2019.This is the jacket I mentioned earlier.

View attachment 119660

View attachment 119659

What's cool, these pictures are when I was on vacation in the Texas Hill Country, now I'm retired and living there.
Here is right after I bought the bike this last May.........

Wheel Tire Jeans Plant Land vehicle

Yeah, it's that bad.

2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Reactions: VStarArizona

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Not bad at all, just looks like someone enjoying their bike.
Thanks but with that belly......... I remember when I was much younger telling people to shoot me if I ever got that big. Of course when we're young and stupid we can't see how life can do things to us and leave us where we never thought we would be.

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks but with that belly......... I remember when I was much younger telling people to shoot me if I ever got that big. Of course when we're young and stupid we can't see how life can do things to us and leave us where we never thought we would be.
"I hope I die before I get old": Roger Daltrey, age 21
"Define old": Roger Daltrey, age 78

(Actually, Pete Townshend wrote My Generation, but you get my point...)

(y)

· Registered
182 Posts
Reaction score
I know the ultimate choice is up to me and my tastes but I need some input ...
I did read at least one review that stated the pockets for the armor pads tend to be big and the pads "float" a little
Probably way more than you need here: as others have mentioned, I’m in the Northeast where several coats, mesh to leather, and layers are best. We just retuned from Natchez Trace, Cherohala, T.o.D., BOTD, B.R.P., Skyline, W. PA, NYS, to VT. The mesh, a fleece, and a raincoat allowed us to be comfortable from the 50’s to the 90’s. Up front, with Kury. Longhorns and 6 vents, (SVTC) I wore my chaps all the time. My wife ditched her chaps on the hottest of days, "in town”. I like a long-sleeved, under-armour, style on the hot days as it traps sweat or holds a splash of water and works like AC. Once, 90+º’s/45mph, in the shade for a bit, I actually got a chill!

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
Here is right after I bought the bike this last May.........

View attachment 119661

Yeah, it's that bad.
No sense beating yourself up or feeling bad/guilty about your health. You know your capabilities and concerns. I know you got the bike fairly recently but to me you sound like a prime candidate for a Trike, you might be much happier, ride more and get out of the house more. Not sure of your financial situation, i know i can't afford one really. Just a thought about an option you may have. :D

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
No sense beating yourself up or feeling bad/guilty about your health. You know your capabilities and concerns. I know you got the bike fairly recently but to me you sound like a prime candidate for a Trike, you might be much happier, ride more and get out of the house more. Not sure of your financial situation, i know i can't afford one really. Just a thought about an option you may have. :D
I considered a trike until I looked at the prices, I might as well be buying a Bentley. Heck I was even looking at Urals but again they were out of my price range. My knees are my biggest issue but I have braces that make it much easier to ride besides I may be going in soon for a new left knee relatively soon. That should help a lot once I'm over the surgery.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Lip

· Registered
95 Posts
Reaction score
I bought a longer vented "all weather" type jacket a number of years ago on clearance - A Hein Gericke Timbuktu. It has a zip out liner. I've used that jacket from 90 degrees to about 30 degrees. It is just a damn good, versatile jacket. If they don't make it anymore maybe the Kilimanjaro is similar?

But... truth be told, I just can't resist the black leather (I blame heavy metal of the 80s). Always my #1 choice. And I have a couple of biker jackets (a Vetter and an Allstate) and depending on the size of my belly, one usually fits. I also have a couple of good quality vests that I may wear before it gets too cold.

I don't have any leather chaps at the moment, but if I started doing trips again, I would definitely buy some.

Reactions: kje54

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
I suppose a lot of this comes down to personal preference, but also the climate you are riding in. Here in BC I am a firm believer in a good quality leather coat, although I will wear a leather vest in the summer with a proper riding shirt (with padding). A word of advice I got once time was dress for the crash, not the ride. I think there is a lot of value in that statement. If you did hit the ground, what would you want on? Nothing more cringe worthy than shorts and sandals.

If it were me, I would opt for a leather coat with a removable liner for warmer weather. This is what I wear 90% of the time. A quality leather jacket will last a life time and you can hand that onto a friend or loved one when you upgrade one day. The mesh, although offering protection and breathable, will eventually get tears and break down from UV and weather exposure. The only advantage I see at face value is more breathable and more visible.

IT sounds like you made up your mind, and it very well might be the perfect jacket for you. Ride in good health!

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I suppose a lot of this comes down to personal preference, but also the climate you are riding in. Here in BC I am a firm believer in a good quality leather coat, although I will wear a leather vest in the summer with a proper riding shirt (with padding). A word of advice I got once time was dress for the crash, not the ride. I think there is a lot of value in that statement. If you did hit the ground, what would you want on? Nothing more cringe worthy than shorts and sandals.

If it were me, I would opt for a leather coat with a removable liner for warmer weather. This is what I wear 90% of the time. A quality leather jacket will last a life time and you can hand that onto a friend or loved one when you upgrade one day. The mesh, although offering protection and breathable, will eventually get tears and break down from UV and weather exposure. The only advantage I see at face value is more breathable and more visible.

IT sounds like you made up your mind, and it very well might be the perfect jacket for you. Ride in good health!
The Xelement jacket went back, too small and it was weighty. Haven't bought anything else yet.

· Registered
95 Posts
Reaction score
FYI - the Timbuktu I mentioned in my post is a long jacket, goes past the waist. I actually really like that length, even in hot weather.

· Registered
6,193 Posts
Reaction score
You can ask Les , warm weather, jeans and t-shirt. Jean jacket for light weight, buffalo leather for cold. I have buffalo leather chaps, I have to use suspenders to hold them up. I have the old man disease noassatall .

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
You can ask Les , warm weather, jeans and t-shirt. Jean jacket for light weight, buffalo leather for cold. I have buffalo leather chaps, I have to use suspenders to hold them up. I have the old man disease noassatall .
I do have a heavy denim shearling coat I could wear for winter riding and do my typical heavy denim shirt + leather vest for summer riding.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts