Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 vstar Classic 650

Anyone have any ideas that doesn't require major fabrication or breaking the bank?

I currently have a rack and short universal turns signals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you're removing the mustache, I'd mount the signals on the fender and relocate the license plate so you could see the signals better.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
98vstar, I've been down this exact same road you want to go down.

I have attached pics of my current setup. The key components are:

47 to 54 Harley style tail light w/ high tag mount (Early Sportster Version) Prices vary depending on vendor

ebay 3 wire turn signals (running light feature included) around $40 set

Some scrap 3/4" thick plastic to make the front mounts.

So : the rear fender stock tail lamp was removed and replaced with this one, Drilled holes on the side of the fender to mount the new turn signals. Wiring was fairly easy. 2 wire set up on both. You do not use the lead that is grounded to the stalk of the turn signal.

On the front ones it's tricky : to keep the running light feature intact you must make the signal stalk mount to as to NOT touch any metal part of the bikes frame ground. As the running light uses this for power. and must be isolated as such. So with the front you use all 3 wires. on mine the outer edge of the bulb is lit as the running light. The inner portion is the turn signal.
sure it took some time to make but everything works fine and has held up well. The base of the rear tail light had to be sanded some to reduce the overall radius but that was it. (see pics )

*** The grill between the two front turn signals was made from a screen insert on a hilborn scoop for a chevy small block v8 . Note the mount attaches through the old TS mounting tube with the ends removed.
It also appears your rack lower support could be attached in the same manner with this setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info. I wanted to ditch the mustache lights if it didnt cost me a ton of cash.

Thank you RestoRider00 for the game plan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also know a guy who removed the signals from his bike and uses LED strips on his saddlebags for signals. Not sure of the legality and I'm sure it'd work much better with hard bags.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Without the labor cost the whole thing was under $100.

I added my hard bags after the TS mod was already done.
Even though they have lights for the turn signals in the bag lids I chose not to go there....:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts