Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to convert our stock tires to a tubeless setup? One of my biggest fears is a punctured tire on a long road trip. The other street bikes I've had have all been tubeless and I loved knowing if something went wrong I could do a quick roadside plug and dump some Slime in.

For my dirt bike there is an amazing product I use called Tubliss ( TUbliss Motorcycle Dirt Bike Traction Tires Tubeless ) that creates a dual air chamber and very effectively eliminates any and all flats. It's perfect peace of mind knowing I can puncture a tire six ways from Sunday out in the middle of the bush and still ride without issue.

Is there a wheel conversion, etc that someone has figured out that will allow us to eliminate the tubes?

650 Classic

·
Registered
159 Posts
At 650 CC&D under how to, and misc. they describe a tubeless conversion.
I know where you are coming from with the plug and slime on a tubeless, but I'm not sure yet if I am ready to do the conversion on my bike yet.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,475 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers guys.

I like the idea of the Ride-On sealant but frankly am skeptical on how effective it would be with a tube puncture. It seems to be the exact same concept as Slime but just thicker. If I understand the product correctly it sits in between the tube and tire and in the event of a puncture it would seal it using centrifigal force but that would only seal the tire and not address the hole in your tube.

Your tube would still have a hole in it and then the only thing not allowing air to esacape would be the seal Ride-On creates at the puncture point (and maybe along the bead?). Seems sketchy to me and presumable your tire would be out of balance.

Is the idea that it's a temp measure just to get you to the next town? What I like about Tubless tires is a proper plug and Slime allows you to finish your ride and then get a new tire when you're back home.

Do I have the right idea?

·
Administrator
13,290 Posts
https://www.ride-on.com/search/tube

this should answer some of the questions about tube tires. "Ride-On will eliminate 85-95%... your flats in tubeless tires from objects up to 1/4" (1/8” for tube tires)."
from what i've seen and read, it does work similar to Slime but more effective and less messy. it's not meant to be a permanent solution, since any puncture in your tire changes its structural integrity, but you could keep riding on it for however long you want at your own risk. for reference, i spotted a bit of the sealant on a spot on my rear tire once that could have only gotten there through some puncture; there was no foreign object still in the tire. my tire pressure never went down. i have no idea how long ago it had happened. i kept riding on that tire for about a year before i replaced the set and never noticed any difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts