Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the headsets that I used on my Wing (5 pin) but no luck. I had to switch the audio over on the Wing to "headsets" but I can't find a way to do that on the SVTC. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I tried the headsets that I used on my Wing (5 pin) but no luck. I had to switch the audio over on the Wing to "headsets" but I can't find a way to do that on the SVTC. Am I missing something?
You can not use the 5 pin Wing sets. You need to sell those, or whatever. You need to pick up the 7-pin set lower cords from Yamaha, or you can order the 7-pin set for the Harley. Some have said that they work in place of the Yamaha OEM set, sold in the Acc's section. You will also need to pick up for your wife, the LOWER Passenger EXTENSION cord as well. You can permanently mount that cord such as I decided to do. Now, when my wife wants to plug in, she merely plugs her lower male cord lead, into the extension female, and away we go------->. You will also have to, under AUDIO OUTPUTS, box-on, under COMMUNICATION section, both the Rider and Passenger (co-rider) helmet icons. The same for Nav, if you want either yourself, or both you and your wife's helmets having that feed. If you want music fed to either your, her, or both your helmets, you also need to box-on, in the icon section of MEDIA. Media is for music, and sound sources...FM/AM, USB/Sat Radio...and feed from both the Intercom and C.B. radio is controlled by the COMMUNICATION sections of the AUDIO screen. Sound's involved...and at first, it is. The SVTC is an expensive bike. You are paying for the high level of technology and user control this ride puts at your finger tips. Use all the features...learn to control and access them...and the bike pays you back...mile upon mile, upon mile. That has been our experience.

The SVTC is not, 'we at Yamaha have decided how your bike will be set up....'...nope...the bike is truly the first that you can set not only WHAT feature(s) you want fed to the helmets, but for each function, each volume for that function can be set NOT ONLY to your helmet, but then the custom volume level to your wife's as well. Then...on the left handlebar stock, that volume up and down is a MASTER volume, just like the setup is on a Sound Studio, mixing board. I can only imagine that Yamaha Sound had input with that, sitting around the meeting room table by all design departments. I have done recording work in 16 track, and it became easy for me to understand, when I started thinking about how the SVTC's sound and volume management was set up....again, exactly like a professional Sound Board Console. Think like that...and you will be whipping up all custom volumes to suit yourself and your wife, in no time.

You absolutely need to buy new 7-pin lower leads for both you and your wife, to have full functionality with the SVTC.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can not use the 5 pin Wing sets. You need to sell those, or whatever. You need to pick up the 7-pin set lower cords from Yamaha, or you can order the 7-pin set for the Harley. Some have said that they work in place of the Yamaha OEM set, sold in the Acc's section. You will also need to pick up for your wife, the LOWER Passenger EXTENSION cord as well. You can permanently mount that cord such as I decided to do. Now, when my wife wants to plug in, she merely plugs her lower male cord lead, into the extension female, and away we go------->. You will also have to, under AUDIO OUTPUTS, box-on, under COMMUNICATION section, both the Rider and Passenger (co-rider) helmet icons. The same for Nav, if you want either yourself, or both you and your wife's helmets having that feed. If you want music fed to either your, her, or both your helmets, you also need to box-on, in the icon section of MEDIA. Media is for music, and sound sources...FM/AM, USB/Sat Radio...and feed from both the Intercom and C.B. radio is controlled by the COMMUNICATION sections of the AUDIO screen. Sound's involved...and at first, it is. The SVTC is an expensive bike. You are paying for the high level of technology and user control this ride puts at your finger tips. Use all the features...learn to control and access them...and the bike pays you back...mile upon mile, upon mile. That has been our experience.

The SVTC is not, 'we at Yamaha have decided how your bike will be set up....'...nope...the bike is truly the first that you can set not only WHAT feature(s) you want fed to the helmets, but for each function, each volume for that function can be set NOT ONLY to your helmet, but then the custom volume level to your wife's as well. Then...on the left handlebar stock, that volume up and down is a MASTER volume, just like the setup is on a Sound Studio, mixing board. I can only imagine that Yamaha Sound had input with that, sitting around the meeting room table by all design departments. I have done recording work in 16 track, and it became easy for me to understand, when I started thinking about how the SVTC's sound and volume management was set up....again, exactly like a professional Sound Board Console. Think like that...and you will be whipping up all custom volumes to suit yourself and your wife, in no time.

You absolutely need to buy new 7-pin lower leads for both you and your wife, to have full functionality with the SVTC.
Thanks for your excellent reply...7 pin leads it is!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks for your excellent reply...7 pin leads it is!
You're quite welcome. :)

Here's a pic of her lower extension cord permanently installed on the left grab handle. Left click once on the pic...then left click again on that pic...and you will get the full size. Then merely move over the picture on the monitor to get the handle into view. The cord comes with all the tie downs and velcro straps to get the job done, if you purchase through Yamaha. If the lower extension cord comes will all the ties and velcro straps you need, from J&M, I have no idea.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can use the HD headsets...WOW what a savings. You can buy a headset and cord for well under $100. Has anyone actually used the HD set?

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you can use the HD headsets...WOW what a savings. You can buy a headset and cord for well under $100. Has anyone actually used the HD set?
Yes, I have read of two new owners that were given that tip, and purchased them, with success. They stated so, anyway. I have no personal vouchers to that effect. I decided when ordering all my acc's, that I wanted total OEM authored compatiblilty so, I paid the asking prices through Yamaha. We have had no issues whatsoever with both her two cords, and my single lower from Yamaha. Are they merely repackaged lowers from the manufacture's Harley 7 pin offerings? Who knows? In case there was a copper thread count difference that Yamaha spec'ed to them, for there is very high broad-band action on all the SVTC's systems, I just paid the extra Yamaha was charging, just so I KNOW that I had full OEM compatibility. Running lower cords spec'ed for another manufacturer's brand...had me saying 'geez...I dunno....'. So, you pays your money and takes your chances. There's been not too much feedback from those two chaps that claimed their Harley 7 pin lowers were fully and SVTC functionally compatible. They would have to read this thread and speak up. Mine as mentioned, are Yamaha OEM. They work, as I expected them to, without fault.

Joe

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have read of two new owners that were given that tip, and purchased them, with success. They stated so, anyway. I have no personal vouchers to that effect. I decided when ordering all my acc's, that I wanted total OEM authored compatiblilty so, I paid the asking prices through Yamaha. We have had no issues whatsoever with both her two cords, and my single lower from Yamaha. Are they merely repackaged lowers from the manufacture's Harley 7 pin offerings? Who knows? In case there was a copper thread count difference that Yamaha spec'ed to them, for there is very high broad-band action on all the SVTC's systems, I just paid the extra Yamaha was charging, just so I KNOW that I had full OEM compatibility. Running lower cords spec'ed for another manufacturer's brand...had me saying 'geez...I dunno....'. So, you pays your money and takes your chances. There's been not too much feedback from those two chaps that claimed their Harley 7 pin lowers were fully and SVTC functionally compatible. They would have to read this thread and speak up. Mine as mentioned, are Yamaha OEM. They work, as I expected them to, without fault.

Joe
My issue with the OEM is that they are made by J&M. I have not had a positive experience with J&M. I average about 20 hours of use on their cords before needing to replace them at considerable cost and expect the same from the Yamaha branded J&M. I may see if Edsets makes a set...anyone other than J&M.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My issue with the OEM is that they are made by J&M. I have not had a positive experience with J&M. I average about 20 hours of use on their cords before needing to replace them at considerable cost and expect the same from the Yamaha branded J&M. I may see if Edsets makes a set...anyone other than J&M.
How do you remove your J&M's from the DIN plugs? by the head of it, or by pulling on the coil body cord? I have owned all J&M cords for all my last 5 Wings, and never had one failure ever. I have run my OEM (by J&M) Yamaha spec'ed lower and extension cords, for almost 9,000 miles, and no failures as I did not have with all prior Wing 5-pin cords. We always remove our cords only by their DIN heads, by grasping them with a thumb-forefinger pinch and straight pull-out. My wife is trained well... :)!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Joe
I’ve had my OEM headsets since Dec 27th and logged 12k miles and have ZERO problems.
You also need to know that Yamaha sound division had J&M build these headsets to THEIR specifications. The sound quality is EXCELLENT. You cannot find the headset listed on J&M’s site because they were designed specifically for Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Joe
Cords should always be removed by the plug in to the bike or the extension cord as in the passengers case. The helmet connection is not designed to be plugged and unplugged repeatedly. It will eventually cause problems.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

“Sound mixing board configuration”. Excellent analogy! That’s exactly what they did.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We go on a two week across country vacation every year. We have two helmets that we only wear on that vacation. The cords stay plugged into the helmets always, the cord always fails at the helmet plug. The last 9 years there has only been two that we did not have to replace a cord. It is almost like clockwork. We buy a cord, finish the vacation we're on and get one more two week vacation in, the following vacation we will have to replace it. With both of us having cords, we replacing one of them almost every year. We went on vacation in June (5000 miles) about 600 miles from home my wifes left side went out. We have since purchased the SVTC and one great thing is I will not buy J&K again. I'll wait on another vendor or try the HD sets.

·
Registered
809 Posts
We go on a two week across country vacation every year. We have two helmets that we only wear on that vacation. The cords stay plugged into the helmets always, the cord always fails at the helmet plug. The last 9 years there has only been two that we did not have to replace a cord. It is almost like clockwork. We buy a cord, finish the vacation we're on and get one more two week vacation in, the following vacation we will have to replace it. With both of us having cords, we replacing one of them almost every year. We went on vacation in June (5000 miles) about 600 miles from home my wifes left side went out. We have since purchased the SVTC and one great thing is I will not buy J&K again. I'll wait on another vendor or try the HD sets.
Have you ever relaxed the coils, so the cord is actually longer, and doesn't put pull stress on that helmet connection? That's what I always did with our cords...the first thing was to pass the coils between my thumb and forefinger to stretch the coils enough to not feel a tug, and yet stay off of the tank, etc. We've always had good luck with that M.O.

Joe

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Small thread hijack. What do I need to hook up to my helmet.. From bike to speakers? I posted a pic of what I think I need.
That will get your helmet connected to the system. Same thing again plus the extension cable will get back seat connected.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Small thread hijack. What do I need to hook up to my helmet.. From bike to speakers? I posted a pic of what I think I need.
You need two 801's, two lower cords and one Passenger Extension Cord. You are then good to go...and will be able to access every feature of the SVTC.
You (the rider) don't use or need a Passenger Extension Cord. Only for the rear DIN connection.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
You need two 801's, two lower cords and one Passenger Extension Cord. You are then good to go...and will be able to access every feature of the SVTC.
You (the rider) don't use or need a Passenger Extension Cord. Only for the rear DIN connection.
We wont need the rider passenger coms since we have Senas. She can listen to her music and talk to me on that if she wants so don't need the dual zone audio. I just need it for the rider for the CB. So 1 801 and one lower.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts