Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just bought this light bar, and was very disappointed. It is plastic, not solid, looks like a toy :(
Seems like I do not have to expect quality for such price. I didn't know that. It's my mistake :(
I need your advise
I need something decent but not very expensive. Not plastic but metal with turn knob on it.
I have V star 1100 (2001)
Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
It states right in the ad what it's made of.

Technical Specification
Material: Steel light bar,Plastic headlight housing,Plastic turn signals

Frankly, any set like that under $100 probably isn't going to be of quality. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I recently bought a Kuryakyn set ... a tad more than the one you bought but the quality is worth it.

Chrome Kuryakyn Constellation Driving Bar 5001 | eBay

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But it's beautiful! I'm sure it looks great on your bike.
Perhaps would be better to find second hand one on eBay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Remember the old adage; You Get What You Pay For!

But I do understand budgets and sometimes we pay for what want now maybe in hopes of something better in the future. Ride Safe!

Bill

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Perhaps would be better to find second hand one...Sent from my iPhone usingTapatalk

You can look for one from early Royal Star, Road Star, and 650 V Star They all will work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I thought, very nice!
Now I want this bar even more :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
As I thought, very nice!
Now I want this bar even more :)

It's a lot of money for sure. I wrestled with spending that amount for quite a while (days) but I wanted something of good quality and not the "run of the mill" look. I'm very pleased with the product. The signal lights also work as running lights and I wired the passing lamps to a separate switch and are triggered via a relay. They are very bright and my main purpose for them is so oncoming traffic can see me better. I have a "Daymaker" LED headlight on order as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was the switch or relay included, or you did yourself?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Was the switch or relay included, or you did yourself?

did it myself. The included wiring is designed to tap into the stock headlight wires and thus you can only have the passing lamps on when high beam is on (or low beam if you wire it to that). I prefer to have a choice of having them on when I want them on... or not.

If you need assistance on how to hook ithem up using a switch and relay, I can provide a diagram.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did it myself. The included wiring is designed to tap into the stock headlight wires and thus you can only have the passing lamps on when high beam is on (or low beam if you wire it to that). I prefer to have a choice of having them on when I want them on... or not.

So, first I should find something good and then decide how to wire it.
If you don't mind, I'll ask advises in case if I stuck with the installation. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here's a relay wiring diagram ....

relaywire.jpg

Where pin 86 is, I connected that to a "hot" wire that is only hot when the key is turned on.
I found one in the harness going into the speedo unit. On my bike that wire is blue. Use a wire tester light to find one.

I put the On/Off switch in the line going from pin 87 to the passing lamps.
I drilled a hole in the top of the headlight towards the back and mounted the switch there. I used a good metal toggle switch (none of that plastic stuff).

Pin 30 and 85 as shown in the pic.

I mounted the relay under the seat near the battery.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The reason to use a relay is so you can ...
a) run the lights directly off the battery on their own circuit
b) Provide power only when the key is turned on
Exactly how I have mine set up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's a lot of money for sure. I wrestled with spending that amount for quite a while (days) but I wanted something of good quality and not the "run of the mill" look. I'm very pleased with the product. The signal lights also work as running lights and I wired the passing lamps to a separate switch and are triggered via a relay. They are very bright and my main purpose for them is so oncoming traffic can see me better. I have a "Daymaker" LED headlight on order as well.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but...
Do you have a link to the "daymaker" you ordered? There seems to be a lot of different types. I am in need of a new headlight on my 00 1100 that I'm semi-restoring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts