Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an old 650 to rebuild over winter and the PO tore it up something fierce. One thing they did was chop all the wires for the turn signals and lights, I got everything put back together but no matter what way I turn the signal switch it flashes both signals like hazard flashers. Am I doing something wrong here or just missing something. Thanks for all your guys help

·
Super Moderator
3,111 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. You might want to pop into the introduction thread so we can get to know you.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,555 Posts
I second the recommendation to head over to the New Members Introduction section so everyone can get to know you and your bike.

The left side handlebar switch controls the left turn signal and same on left. The wires travel thru the headlight bucket. Verify the wires are not crossed there. Another issue might be feed back thru the flasher wires that can be caused by low voltage LED bulbs being used. By chance does the neutral light flash also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I didn’t see the neutral light flash but I’ll double check. The bulbs I have are led, and I was only connected to a test light when I was trying it. I’ll try it again this morning with some old fog lights I have, everything front and rear were cut and left open so there’s definitely a possibility of crossed wires. I haven’t even started on the fronts yet.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,555 Posts
Here's a good read on LED turn signal issues.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
502 Posts
I had that same issue a few days ago, currently in the process of upgrading tue front running / turning lights in my VS650 to LED w standard 1157 socket. The issue you are describing is most likely coming from the turn signal flasher, conveniently located just above the battery. The symptoms you are describing are consistent with a load resistor connected to the turn signal line ( this common when retrofitting a vehicle / motorcycle w LEDs ) . When the stock flasher ( Yamaha ) senses a load resistor it back feeds in the electrical systems and both turn signals activate concurrently. The easy way to get past that issue is by removing the original Yamaha turn signal flasher and install an electronic flasher. If you decide to keep the electronic flasher be aware that you are going to lose the self turn signal canceling feature.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Super Moderator
7,649 Posts
I thirdly agree on the new members introduction page, definitely something is crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts