Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just got my new ride and unfortunately I have to star all over with gear. I got a new jacket I got a helmet and the Sena 10s intercom system. Still have to get chaps and gloves. Any advice on riding gloves? I have a 2008 Yamaha Road star Silverado S. And any pics of gloves would help please.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hey everyone I just got my new ride and unfortunately I have to star all over with gear. I got a new jacket I got a helmet and the Sena 10s intercom system. Still have to get chaps and gloves. Any advice on riding gloves? I have a 2008 Yamaha Road star Silverado S. And any pics of gloves would help please.
Some of the best 'glove' experiences is with going to TSC (Tractor Supply Company) or any other outdoor work, garden, or construction dealers, and picking up a pair of 100 percent soft Deer Skin gloves. They break into your hand, especially the palm area...feel great...and when getting wet, they dry out quickly without shrinkage. I have used (and own) many styles of touring gloves, even Kevlar based..but time and time again, I go to the motorcycle drawer, and pull out my set of natural colored Deer Skin gloves. They create a feel on your hand, suppleness, and tactile that can't be beat...and they come at a great price, no matter where you can get them!

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/gloves/deerskin-motorcycle-gloves-and-gauntlets/

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/west-chester-mens-grain-deerskin-thinsulate-gloves

https://www.google.com/search?q=TSC+deer+skin+gloves&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:{referrer:source?}&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM-dzE1tLfAhWJ54MKHScQBIsQsxgIoAE&biw=2752&bih=1063

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
My go to winter gloves. Have lasted me three winters.

My favorite summer gloves. Had these for two years. Summer mesh gloves will last me about 2 summers.

My medium weight gloves. Had these a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I bought these on eBay in December of 2016. They're labelled Icon, but came from China and were under $20 so they're probably knock offs, but I'm amazed at how well they've held up. They're perforated and aren't too hot, plus they have armor on the knuckles. They are beginning to fray and wear in a few spots but nothing serious yet, and nothing I wouldn't expect after 14,000 miles. I'll probably look for another set before next year but I'll keep these for backup. They're probably not the the best you can get as far as protection goes, but I like the style, they're comfortable, and they've held up well.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
ditto on Tourmaster gloves and everything else they make

of all the things that can happen on a bike, messing up your hands would be one of the worst.

Get motorcycle gloves, designed for the slide, not for the ride, with velcro gauntlets covering the wrists, so the pavement cannot pull them off your hands.

And you did not mention boots - designed with ankle protection. If your foot ever gets under the bike, you need some serious armor.

BTW, gloves are one of the things you need to go buy in a local store front. Gloves, boots, helmets.... they must fit well or they are unusable. Once you have one pair that you know fits you properly, you can buy the next (same) pair online in a few years if you need to save a few bucks, but believe me, XL does not equal XL from every company that makes gloves.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wife and I have Fox Creek gauntlets, the deer hide is top quality,they are a good in between season glove, just before I break out the heated gear.
Tour master, first gear and Olympia all make great riding gloves.
We bought our foxcreek right at the store in the VA hills.. We go by there or around there quite often, we did have to try on a few before we got the perfect fit ...

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's huge personal preference.

I do LOVE my scorpion cool hands 2 gloves for warm weather, sometimes swap them out with leather.
I use scorpion winter gloves whem it's really cold out.

Not sure what it is, after using around 15 or more gloves, I find the scorpion gloves just fit my hands the best, sometimes alittle long but not much in the finger length.

Using leather farm/garden gloves are really nice, and the mechanics gloves work for warm weather also, for going cheap, but they generally offer any protection. You can debate for yourself your own level of comfort/protection/cost/...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts