Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the Spark Plugs in my 2011 V Star 950 Tourer. The owner's manual/maintenance book states I need NGK CPR7EA-9 3901, but what type of spark plug type do I need :Solid, Loose or Stud. I haven't checked to see what I have in the bike now, but I have ordered and received spark plugs (model number above) and they are Stud type. I watched the below video and they said Stud types are usually used in motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,157 Posts
The threaded stud is what your bike uses. Video does a pretty good job explaining the difference.

Reactions: Pohio

·
10,157 Posts
Make sure you check the gap. Sometimes during shipping the box gets dropped. Some will agree and some will disagree on using antiseize on threads and dialectic grease in boot. I do both and have for years.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
438 Posts
I have heard that you shouldn't re-gap the (spell? ) Iridium plugs, the damage easily.

Is that correct?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have heard that you shouldn't re-gap the (spell? ) Iridium plugs, the damage easily.

Is that correct?
You do not need to gap them at all and not recommended you ever do.
Pre gapped out of the box.
I changed all 4 of them in my 1700 and it ran great.
I use them in everything I own and putting a pair in my Harley next.

·
10,157 Posts
We will agree to disagree on this. I can tell you that gaps do get altered from shipping and clerks dropping the box while stocking them, yes it does happen, even with the cardboard sleeve. Plugs are used on multiple applications and the gap is not the same. You can gap any plug without damage by using the correct tool. Are the plugs correct 99% of the time, yes, but takes seconds to check.

·
10,157 Posts
To validate my feeling on checking gap on new plugs:

Should I modify the electrode gap?

DENSO spark plugs are manufactured with a pre-set gap. With nickel plugs, especially with motorcycles, the gap may need adjustment. Always use a special spark plug gapping tool to change the gap.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
438 Posts
I am assuming that is the type of tool suggested. I always used the circle with wire loops and a bending tool sticking out.

And the long flat pinky finger length metal gap gauges for rocker arms and points ( I freaking hate duel points on vehicles!!! ) .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news, they were gapped correctly. No worries there.

Follow up, why have different types of spark plug ends?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts