Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ride is a 2011 1100 Vstar I put a depth indicator on my tyres, and I had just under 3mm of tread left front and rear. I have Dunlop /k555F (front) K555 (rear) Im dissapointed as the Dunlops have only travelled 8000km approx 5000miles. I am going to change the tyres soon and I have narrowed it down to 2 different brands. Metzeler Marathons and Michelin Commanders. Price wise I have looked around and I can pick both brands for the same price so the $ factor doesn't come into it. But if possible if I could get some feed back from those of you that have used the Metzelers or the Michelins that would be great.
Cheers
Ian

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
kilometers? tyres? what source of pig latin is this?!

i just replaced my dunlop elite 3's front and back after about 30,000 MILES on each. and only because, after 3 years, the rubber had hardened to the point where it was not gripping the road as well as it should. but both still had plenty of tread still left.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ride the Metz 888's and love them. My previous set lasted me just over 36,000kms. They have a nice smooth ride and stick to road big time, even in heavy downpours.

Hope this helps.
I just recently changed out my Dunlop D404's for Metzeler 888's and it is like night and day. The Metzelers ride a good deal better than the Dunlops ever did. I have just shy of 200 miles on the Metzeler's so far and I love them. I ride around 7,000 or so miles per year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Australia we converted from imperial measurements to metric in 1971. But I have to admit I have only stopped using terms like miles per hour and miles per gallon, because the young ones havent got a bloody clue what I'm talking about. LOL
I think I will be putting the Metzelers on soon as my Dunlops are only just over the leagal deapth limit in the State I live in. I was disappionted that they have only done 5000 miles but I think part of the problem is the bike was manufactured in 2011 and I didnt buy it untill 2013 and it sat in a crate at the Yamaha dealer until that time. so the tyres are at least 5 years old.
Thanks for the input.
Cheers Ian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts