Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My unrestored original 1995 Mustang (3.8L v6, not the sexy v8) 5 speed hit 300K today: ironically on the way to autozone to get filter & oil for her latest change. 2nd owner since 1997 when I bought it with about 20K miles. Original paint, original engine, original tranny, original everything. Clutch & shifter replaced with a Hurst at ~150K, but other than that only proper maintenance every 3-5K miles. Still going strong.

Yeah, it's not a Yamaha... or even a bike, but just had to mark the occasion.

I'll add it to my 'garage' if you wanna see pics.

Super Moderator
A little older than yours but passed 500k this year. Had it since new. But unlike you there has been many items repaired and or replaced. Wish I could renew my worn out parts as easily on my body. 馃ぃ I can relate to reaching those mileage milestones.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
A little older than yours but passed 500k this year. Had it since new. But unlike you there has been many items repaired and or replaced. Wish I could renew my worn out parts as easily on my body. 馃ぃ I can relate to reaching those mileage milestones.

Wanna trade?

OK seriously, that is awesome. Kudos for keeping her on the road. My folks drove a '67 when I was very young, and I often wish they'd kept it and let me have it.

My SN95 is probably never gonna be 'classic' the way yours is. I surely don't think so. It's a cool car that ages well, but it doesn't compare to the 'real' mustangs like yours.

BUT I do let my 17 year old drive it, and will let her keep it when/if she goes off to college. She even has learned how to do all the maintenance herself.

Super Moderator
Thanks for recognizing the efforts of keeping my Stang on the road. Most of the time it's a labor of love, but at times no. On 5th engine, first 2 stock rebuilds. Then swapped 351w in. Then bored and stroked stock 351 to 393. Then heads, cam, intake, roller top end, etc. It was an interesting progression in quarter mile times, stock 289, mid 14 seconds, stock 351, mid 13s, stock stroker, mid 12s, now mid 11s. No power adders, always just motor. At least 5 total front end rebuilds. Only 1 repaint in 1988, but still looks pretty good. Two total interior rebuilds. Two rear end rebuilds, 3.55 posi in it now. Starter and alternator will last about 200k. Tranny, C-4, lasts about 100k before rebuild. Rewired entire, and I mean entire wire harness about 5 years ago. All glass except windshield is original. Too many tires to count, especially rear. Oil and filter change every 3k or after taking to track. I've always done all work myself. Don't think there is a nut or bolt I haven't touch. One bad issue now is it only gets about 5 miles a gallon. Wife says I would sell her before my Stang. I have had the car longer but the wife is a keeper. Guess one reason I like my Vstar so much is it's like the Stang, do proper maintenance and will last a very long time. Yea, I'm a certified car and motorcycle nut! A picture on a few of my trophies, about have from car shows and the other have from drag racing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for recognizing the efforts of keeping my Stang on the road. Most of the time it's a labor of love, but at times no. On 5th engine, first 2 stock rebuilds. Then swapped 351w in. Then bored and stroked stock 351 to 393. Then heads, cam, intake, roller top end, etc. It was an interesting progression in quarter mile times, stock 289, mid 14 seconds, stock 351, mid 13s, stock stroker, mid 12s, now mid 11s. No power adders, always just motor. At least 5 total front end rebuilds. Only 1 repaint in 1988, but still looks pretty good. Two total interior rebuilds. Two rear end rebuilds, 3.55 posi in it now. Starter and alternator will last about 200k. Tranny, C-4, lasts about 100k before rebuild. Rewired entire, and I mean entire wire harness about 5 years ago. All glass except windshield is original. Too many tires to count, especially rear. Oil and filter change every 3k or after taking to track. I've always done all work myself. Don't think there is a nut or bolt I haven't touch. One bad issue now is it only gets about 5 miles a gallon. Wife says I would sell her before my Stang. I have had the car longer but the wife is a keeper. Guess one reason I like my Vstar so much is it's like the Stang, do proper maintenance and will last a very long time. Yea, I'm a certified car and motorcycle nut! A picture on a few of my trophies, about have from car shows and the other have from drag racing.

--bows in deference--

Super Moderator
Cassy, you are the one that gets bowed to. That many miles in a short period of time speaks to your detail and follow thru on maintenance. Not many people do that any more. Most people don't understand if you take care of your vehicle it will take care of you. I love hearing stories on high mileage vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts