Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next mod will be rear boards.

I have looked at the Yamaha rear boards but dont care for them. All that nice chrome and they offer a dull brushed aluminum board and the clear browns from the exhaust heat.

I have eyeballed Kuryakyn but understand the adapters they offer allow you to use several boards but they dont flip up? Let me know if that is correct.

Show what you got, who makes them and anything special you did to make them work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just went OEM dull brushed as I have a midnight but just wanted Momma to be more comfortable... so far so good

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
My ride came with the OEM ones, essentially a smaller version of the rider floor boards, but I still have a set of Highway Hawk ones. I may mount those, to see how that looks :).

If I like that, I may have to get a matching rider set .... :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My neighbor has the Yamaha boards and the bottom of the right side is as brown as mud from the factory exhaust.

That is the biggest reason I chose not to go with the yamaha ones.

I run my bike solo 90% of the time, I wouldnt mind finding some rear boards that quickly detach but I dont know of any.

Does anyone know for sure if the Kuryakyn adapter setup does or does not fold up?

·
Registered
389 Posts
My neighbor has the Yamaha boards and the bottom of the right side is as brown as mud from the factory exhaust.

That is the biggest reason I chose not to go with the yamaha ones.

I run my bike solo 90% of the time, I wouldnt mind finding some rear boards that quickly detach but I dont know of any.

Does anyone know for sure if the Kuryakyn adapter setup does or does not fold up?
What model Yamaha does he have?
I have had mine for years and I have never had any junk on the bottom, you do know kuryakyn chrome is junk don't you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What model Yamaha does he have?
I have had mine for years and I have never had any junk on the bottom, you do know kuryakyn chrome is junk don't you.
His is an 06 or 07 Strat with the factory Yamaha boards. I dont know how long they have been on there, he bought the bike used a little over a year ago and they were already on there.

The bottom of the right side board is brown, left side is normal. Its obvious heat damage from the exhaust.

The problem is searching for Strat stuff is tedious because only a few companies make stuff for it and they only make limited items so you have to search long and far unlike more 'popular' bikes where there are so many one stop shops that have everything for a bike from front to back.

That said, some people get crafty and work out items that isnt in catalogs which is why like to see what other people have come up with before I go and drop a bunch of $$ when there might be better options out there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
His is an 06 or 07 Strat with the factory Yamaha boards. I dont know how long they have been on there, he bought the bike used a little over a year ago and they were already on there.

The bottom of the right side board is brown, left side is normal. Its obvious heat damage from the exhaust.

The problem is searching for Strat stuff is tedious because only a few companies make stuff for it and they only make limited items so you have to search long and far unlike more 'popular' bikes where there are so many one stop shops that have everything for a bike from front to back.

That said, some people get crafty and work out items that isnt in catalogs which is why like to see what other people have come up with before I go and drop a bunch of $$ when there might be better options out there.
Those are just aluminum with clear coat and should clean up easy.
I made my brackets and used the boards off of my old bike.
Go to Yamaha sports plaza and put in part #5S7-F74BO-VO-00 and look at the chrome boards for the Royals, you can get great deals on the Royal Venture forum.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are just aluminum with clear coat and should clean up easy.
I made my brackets and used the boards off of my old bike.
Go to Yamaha sports plaza and put in part #5S7-F74BO-VO-00 and look at the chrome boards for the Royals, you can get great deals on the Royal Venture forum.
I like those boards, might not match the shape of the front boards but the polished chrome matches the engine/exhaust/trim.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As dyna suggested they are simple aluminum that would probably easily clean up. Plus you really don't know what the ones you are looking at have been through. You could most likely get a new set and spend a few minutes with a buffer and have them looking like chrome. Then shoot them with a good coat of clear yourself. Or just leave them uncoated but you would have to polish them often.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I like those boards, might not match the shape of the front boards but the polished chrome matches the engine/exhaust/trim.
I originally installed the rear/passenger floorboards that matched the shape of the front boards, sort of tear drop shaped. GF didn't like them as they didn't have much surface area for the heals of her boots.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I originally installed the rear/passenger floorboards that matched the shape of the front boards, sort of tear drop shaped. GF didn't like them as they didn't have much surface area for the heals of her boots.
I think these are more about style than about usability, indeed :).

Just wondering whether it would be possible to install the standard rider floor boards as passenger ones, although a bit on the big side I guess :).

Kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As dyna suggested they are simple aluminum that would probably easily clean up. Plus you really don't know what the ones you are looking at have been through. You could most likely get a new set and spend a few minutes with a buffer and have them looking like chrome. Then shoot them with a good coat of clear yourself. Or just leave them uncoated but you would have to polish them often.
HA, those are on my neighbors strat. They have a newborn so his bike is collecting dust and will be for a few more months.

We tried to clean them up but it wasnt coming off easy. I am thinking about pulling a few parts and sending them to a local chrome shop. If we can get the rubber out of those boards we might send them too. But that will be a winter project.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've got the OEM ones on my 2004 vs1100 and I'm fine with them. Don't miss the chrome, personally (if anything, looking to go for a more matte/bobber look overall). The right-side one certainly doesn't seem any worse for sitting above the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
My '06 has the Yamaha ones but the undersides are painted to match the bike.
That sounds like it'll look really great!

Kind regards, Wim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts