Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update #2

Mystery Solved :) I managed to make contact with the folks at "Roadburner" aka: "Hard Krome" - my exhaust is in fact there brand.

On a better note (pun intended) - I was able to pull out the baffles, cut the outer "layer" off, then wrapped the inner layer (cheese grater) with 1/2 inch fiberglass baffle wrap - WOW! what a nice difference!

Can hardly wait to take her out today for a test run...

I managed to get on my back with a light and inspection mirror - I did find a number stamped into the actually pipe a few inches aft of where it attaches to the manifold:
49-4010 (new pic added).

I googled it - came back with lots of hits on RoadBurner, 2.75 inch "Road Pros". -- I'm trying to contact them.

Stay tuned!

Hi All,

Picked up my 2002 V Star in October 2019 with 24K on the clock. Very nice condition and I'm enjoying it so far. The first owner clearly spent some $ on this bike: Corbin seat, comfort grips, windshield, ORK, floor boards, Star saddle bags & after market exhaust.

• I'm 3rd owner - the 1st owner apparently changed the exhaust. I'm not a fan of loud pipes and I'd like to quiet this beast down as much as I can.
  • No markings or numbers found.
  • Pic shows the pipes as well as what I think is a baffles I removed. The baffle is 12 inches long, has an OD of 2.5 inches - the front (towards the header) appears to receive the tip of another pipe from the manifold - all encased in a chrome out layer.
- Can anyone share an educated guess as to what pipes are on here? I'd like to quiet the ones I have (replace the baffle?) and not replace (gulp$) my entire exhaust system.

Thanks in advance,

~Lou
(Oregon)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,418 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. There's been several folks here that have used different baffles to reduce the exhaust bark, I'm sure they will post shortly. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
424 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southern Indiana!!

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,283 Posts
Hello Shipmate Lou and welcome from Virginia

Reactions: Keith Post and LouA

·
Registered
614 Posts
Welcome. Nice bike. You have excellent taste!

I don't know what brand of pipes. I had the same issue on my '02. Aftermarket pipes with no branding that were just too loud. Fellow I bought the bike from had the stock pipes and I swapped them back in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Redcat! You do as well LOL. I wonder if you could share, just how much quieter is yours after reinstalling the stock pipes?

P.S... love your sidebags too!

·
Registered
614 Posts
It is much quieter with stock. I can't quantify it. I can tell you when working prior to retirement, I used to leave my home anywhere between 6:30 - 7:00 AM. I'd keep the revs as low as I could, upshifting way earlier than normal, until I hit a 1/2 mile sloping hill downward that took me out of my neighborhood. I saw no performance loss in the bike either. I have the Chubby intake kit and larger jets, but I found no need to re-jet after going back to the stock exhaust.

The exhaust I had on the bike looked a lot like yours, baffles and all.

The bags are National Cycle Cruiseliner hardbags. Bought them used (black and scuffed up) on eBay and had them painted by a local auto shop to match the bike. I found the pin striping online. Same with the fairing. I had the soft throw over saddle bags when I bought the bike, but just liked the look of the hard bags.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Welcome to the forum from New York. visit often and enjoy snooping around. Nice looking ride. Happy trails...ride safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks dmil123! Originally from Ozone Pk, Queens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts