Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The footboards (air foils/ water wings/ portable VW bug parking platforms! ) the PO built and installed are really well made and extremely strong with his integrated crash bars.

BUT, cornering lean angles are almost non existent. Dangerously small.

The only modification I demand is pegs! Or OEM footboards.
The PO gave me what he removed to mount his footboard/crash bars. I am certain I have the parts. . .

BUT. . . Since he manufactured them himself, there is one problem. The top bolt on both sides UNDER the footboards is a 14 mm bolt with (barely) room for an open end wrench.

Guess what tools I DIDN'T buy. Yup, wrenches. Getting a cheap set from my local Walmart tomorrow.

Once the pegs are installed, a quick trip to the local bike shop for my inspection and I am good to go!

I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT!!!

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,629 Posts
The one thing you wrote @compjan "dangerously small" lean angle has always bugged me. I know when you first mentioned the floorboard awhile ago, I had some smart alec remarks of some sort, but anytime a mod becomes a significant safety issue as you find here, it must go.

Good luck at Wallyworld, I hope you find something that lasts longer than the initial use. ;)

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under 5 bucks for a 5 piece set of metric, open and box ends on each.

DONE. Will post before and after pics later tonight. Had minor issues, most being the need of a 3rd hand. Preferably with a basic knowledge of tool names. . .

So no inspection yet, MAYBE tomorrow before work at 3 pm.

HEE-HEE! Wife is letting me drive it to and from work since I have insurance AND the same guy who will be doing the inspection has already looked it over a week ago and said " yeah, it's safe. You will pass no problem" .

Only 10 minutes, driveway to parking lot.

But it is on my BIKE!

😀

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,231 Posts
Great to here. Be safe at first. Every bike is a little different and takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. The clutch engagement point is kinda small on this 650. The 650 special I had over 30 years ago had a much longer / wider range from beginning to grab up to fully engaged. But that bike had a slipping clutch due to the PO's damage to the clutch adjuster.

Still gotta dial in the handle bars for my comfort.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And these are the removed crash bars/footboards. Buried in a dumpster near me! (seriously)
My size 11 stretched to a 12 in a pic or 2 for a size idea.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,231 Posts
Good work. Glad it's working out for you.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All except the spring for the pegs. Haven't figured that out yet.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Reactions: compjan

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Should have flipped them over and shot a pic. I would imagine they scraped alot. Heck your mileage may go up also with them off the bike. Plus the pegs look better than those IMO...Good luck on your safety check..

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
The footboards (air foils/ water wings/ portable VW bug parking platforms! ) the PO built and installed are really well made and extremely strong with his integrated crash bars.

BUT, cornering lean angles are almost non existent. Dangerously small.

The only modification I demand is pegs! Or OEM footboards.
The PO gave me what he removed to mount his footboard/crash bars. I am certain I have the parts. . .

BUT. . . Since he manufactured them himself, there is one problem. The top bolt on both sides UNDER the footboards is a 14 mm bolt with (barely) room for an open end wrench.

Guess what tools I DIDN'T buy. Yup, wrenches. Getting a cheap set from my local Walmart tomorrow.

Once the pegs are installed, a quick trip to the local bike shop for my inspection and I am good to go!

I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT!!!
I am excited for you, i remember the feeling.................. long ago but remember.

Looks more functional and better

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think he did good job designing them from scratch. I just think it was "good enough" and looked OK. Needed a few minor changes and REMOVAL of a few inches off of the outer edges! He needed to make a second set based off of his 1st effort after using the current set a month or so.

The two bolts up high near the top of the frame for the crash bars, only the top/forward bolt for the rear brake pedal, and he left the mount for the pegs and bolted the middle of the footboards to the peg mount where the pivot pin went for the flip-out peg.

But when taking a normal 90 degree right turn, residential with kids outside playing (so below 10 MPH) and I scraped. It was so bad I was forced to use the entire road width to turn with minimal scraping. Yes, I normally lean for corners, but you damn near had to drive it like a car. Vertical, no leaning. Dangerous.
The local shop was closing at 4 yesterday (due to 50+ degrees in January I am guessing. It IS an independent bike shop after all! ) , So no inspection yet. Was going to get it today before work, but got up with a migraine and very stiff/sore neck. Vomited within 20 minutes after I got up. Called in sick, took anti nausea pills, and went to sleep. Only got up about an hour.before.this.post.

Oh, and it is actively snowing. Wife knows I know how to ride, but until I get a few months in the seat she is NOT going for snow/ice on the roads driving! And I agree no matter how much I crave going for a ride.

The bike (any motorcycle) does me no good if I am dead.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The one thing you wrote @compjan "dangerously small" lean angle has always bugged me. I know when you first mentioned the floorboard awhile ago, I had some smart alec remarks of some sort, but anytime a mod becomes a significant safety issue as you find here, it must go.

Good luck at Wallyworld, I hope you find something that lasts longer than the initial use. ;)
I know what you mean! I bought a lowering kit for my RoadStar from PCS, and installed their lowering 'dogbones'. Shortly after installing them, I took the bike out for a spin to see how it rode. The turning circle expanded to the point where turning from a two-lane road onto a three-lane road caused me to end up in the farthest lane, and caused greatly reduced lean angle!
Suffic e it to say, I didn't get to bed until much later, because, as soon as I returned home, the bike was back up in the air, and those dogbone came off! I now have the Roadwing and reversed rear suspension knuckle. I kept the PCS spring (didn't have the press to remove it) If anyone is interested in the dogbones, I still have them.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree. And footboards look right on the classic and silverado.

It isn't just one piece, it is the entire package.

If that wasn't true, we would not have the slang " phrase " of "butter face". 😲

1 - 18 of 18 Posts