Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Decided to throw a couple pictures up of the teardown of my 99 V Star 650 Custom. Turning it into a bobber. Still have to go buy the rear fender blank and customize it, turn signals, seat/pan/springs and make my own mounting for it, bars, mirrors and powder coating.

Powder coating both wheels (rims/spokes/hubs), both crankcase covers, both fork tubes, triple tree and risers all in flat black.

Going to paint the differential, rear brake drum and components, head covers, battery box and tool box cover, handlebar control housing covers all in flat black.

Was thinking of doing the tank and rear fender a flat black underneath, then a matte grey on top. Then scuff it up for the black comes through a bit. Not sure yet though on that.

Oh and, that picture with the peeled paint on the tank...Ya my bad. During a summer road trip, damn gas went under my directions I taped to the tank. :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also removed the AIS unit. Just need to either removed the spigots or plug them. Took all the manifold studs out, going to replace them with stainless. What a pain to get a couple of em out...jeeze.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your doing all of this work on your bike in your house? You must be single or have a very understanding girl friend or wife ! ! ! !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, single living is good. Plus, I'm not that crazy as to have another one move in ;)

Oh and Corsair, think I'm just going to plug those spigots for the AIS that are in the heads. Just incase something happens with the .45 ACP and I can't get it out. Going to paint them black and cap em so it isn't that noticeable. But I do appreciate the offer man!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually Corsair, my buddy just gave me 2 .45 cap long shells that might actually work good. In case I need to take them out for whatever reason, I'd have something to pull out than to put them in even with the head. Now do will those be under a lot of heat? Do I need to coat them in anything? I am going to paint them black after they are in just to hide the brass against the black heads.

Also, just tipping a can of air cleaner upside down to freeze the joint, and tugging/pulling either way on it with an allen key will pull the factory ones out? Are they press-fitted into the head?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts