Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently installed the upgraded Starter clutch Kit and needle bearing. When trying to start after complete it spins as it did before, but with a slightly different sound. I believe it is the new remodeled damper assy spinning. I removed the left side crankshaft cover and the flywheel. Validated that the starter clutch just turns one way (the proper direction). I have read through different forums and some mention that the damper assy starts slipping at times shortly after replacement. They mention using the original damper assy. Is this suggested? If so, how do the new damper assy bushings come out? Another thing I saw in my readings, was that using auto oil can make the assembly slip. I did use Castor Oil 20w-50, could this be part of my problem. Any suggestions on how I can get back to a dependable starting bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clutch / damper.

I am in the middle of doing this repair, and have had an issue with the new style damper, and with a rattling noise after starting the bike and letting it warm up. First I thought it was coming from the damper, so I pulled at all apart to see how it works. It is simply another clutch, with friction plates and discs, and belville washers to keep pressure on it. I assembled it a little differently by flipping the bellville washers over, as this seemed to make it all fit tighter and eliminate the looseness between the two gears. Well, the rattle is still there when I run the bike, and now the damper slips sometimes after the bike warms up. I just found info on another vstar forum that I think will sole my rattle. There is a washer that was stuck to the old starter clutch gear that I and apparently others failed to install in the new starter clutch on assembly. I just ran out to the garage and lo and behold there is the washer they are talking about. I am not sure what I will do with the damper. I am thinking I will use the old one, which is actually called an idler gear. I dont trust this damper after seeing how it is put together, and after seeing your post about others having problems with it slipping. I did install the clutch with the bigger rollers, and I now know ow to properly start my bike to prevent some of the wear on the clutch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts