Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Updates on my 1100 bobber build.

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  V1100km 
#1 ·
A few updates on my 1100 bobber. Adapted an HD 103” air cleaner lid to my factory air lid for a different look. I carbon wrapped the “103” medallion and had some custom chrome decals made to make it non-HD logo’d and a more my own style. Also got the 23” fender modified and mounted. That took a bit of work, started as a Ultima universal 2/3 wrap around fender that I cut back and shaped to the style I wanted. A few more tweaks on the shape and it’s done too. Installed a set of torque insterts in the straight pipes and Also got a dynatek 3k for cheap so I’ll put that on aswell. More to come on this one.

See less See more
#2 ·
I love the rear wheel, please show the other side so I can see how you did the shaft drive.
you are doing a great job....that is old school building, making a one of a kind from parts you crafted .....I wish more would do it the way we did it back in the 70's

#3 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I really enjoy this kind of bike building and making them a true custom 1-off style. I do a lot of research to see what could possibly fit from other brands/ manufacturers and what I can make work. Like the bars, they are triumph Thruxton 900 billet aluminum cafe racer handle bars. I also scour the web and local sale ads to find the parts/deals to make what I need for my style on a realistic budget.
As for the rear wheel it’s a direct fit RcComponents 18” Chromed smoothie wheel for the vstar 1100. It uses oem size wheel bearings, the factory gear hub, axle, spacers and drive hub, literally a direct bolt on wheel. That’s one of the deals I refer to, I found on eBay years ago. It was listed for $300 in pretty rough shape. Auction only had one picture of the “good side” and sat on eBay for a while without selling. I talked the the seller and asked if there were any large scratches or bends and they said “no” just hadn’t been really cared for. So I took a chance bought it as-is. I ended up polishing out a few nicks and scuffs. Then polished it back to a mirror finish, It took hours but was worth it. I also had to put in new Cush drives, bearings, a stainless brake rotor and I replaced all the hardware with new stainless steel replacements for longevity. Here’s a a pic of how I got it and one of it after I was done with refurbishing it.

#5 ·
that is fantastic, I always wanted to get rid of the spokes on the 650. Now that I have the strat I am not as worried about it.......But I wanted exactly what you put on there , I think solids are the best look for a rear wheel...(y)(y)(y)

#12 ·
I believe this is the one you are referring to.

#15 ·
Not tying to highjack your thread, but I'm trying to have a meet and greet lunch in your area. Check it out and comment on that thread if you are interested.

Reactions: V1100km
#16 ·
Not tying to highjack your thread, but I'm trying to have a meet and greet lunch in your area. Check it out and comment on that thread if you are interested.

No worries, I replied on that one. Sounds pretty doable for me.

#17 ·
That thing is looking so good. Strong work brother. I'm building a Bagger from my '00 1100 and having to do much of the same type of research and parts fabrication, in order to stay on on the "budget build" receipt tally...lol.

#19 ·
We’d love to see ya there, Les and Carla are coming from Texas as well. We’ve always offered members to stay over at our house as we’re only 3-4 hours away. We have a large garage and room for bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d like to go to the regional but may not make that one with my current work schedule. If we can get some more on my crew I may get some more free time off. The Texas meet I should be able to do as it’s local-ish to me and I can swing a day or two on a weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.