Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been another good stretch since I posted. Work is very busy, don’t get to ride as much, but it affords me the funds to continue my build, so could be worse.
Latest changes are:
I took some of y’all’s advice and went with a military warbird paint scheme. The sides of the tank are distressed Stars(stenciled/painted), the sides of the front and rear fender say “No Step”(stenciled/painted), the top of the rear fender has a large pineapple Grenade type graphic(stenciled/painted). The side covers have pinup girl “3m decals” Called “Ratlin Rita”. The other big change was the exhaust. It’s a T&F Garage bent type 2 system I specially ordered from Japan. Set me back a good amount, but well worth it. Excellent quality system. Sounds good aswell. The next step is adding a chubby pod kit from SS custom cycle(on the way). After that I’m not sure what’s left to do lol. Let me know what y’all think.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
I like it. Nice work.

Reactions: V1100km

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
That is what I wanted to see. May I suggest the bolt on chrome cover for the front of the differential and driveshaft.
I love the bike, you have done things I would love to do.

Reactions: V1100km

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
367 Posts
needs some rivets painted on, like riveting sheet metal together like this but different, maybe down the rear fender line. and down the center of the tank so it looks like over lapping metal. i think it needs something to break up the color a bit, may be the toothy shark face can be fabricated for a drive shaft cover, but it does look good. just my thoughts. i made a fake grenade and mounted it where the rear foot pegs go. peace out happy flyin i mean ridin.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is what I wanted to see. May I suggest the bolt on chrome cover for the front of the differential and driveshaft.
I love the bike, you have done things I would love to do.
I’m looking into a driveshaft cover. I like the minimalist ones I see listed in the UK.

needs some rivets painted on, like riveting sheet metal together like this but different, maybe down the rear fender line. and down the center of the tank so it looks like over lapping metal. i think it needs something to break up the color a bit, may be the toothy shark face can be fabricated for a drive shaft cover, but it does look good. just my thoughts. i made a fake grenade and mounted it where the rear foot pegs go. peace out happy flyin i mean ridin.
View attachment 108409

That’s a possibility, I’ll look in to it. As for the grenade, I have a couple of duds/trainers, I could maybe do something with. I made a shift knob out of one for a jockey shift setup I had on it.

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
367 Posts
we can't get duds up here, besides im sure the police would pull me over, and for darn sure a "karen" would have something to say. maybe a grenade carb cover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You did a great job keeping the bike lines and blending aircraft lines in the same bike. You didn't sacrifice either, and you didn't jam then together. Just well done.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we can't get duds up here, besides im sure the police would pull me over, and for darn sure a "karen" would have something to say. maybe a grenade carb cover.
Yeah, down here most folks don’t make an issue with custom bike accessories. They usually are only going after sportbike riders. As for the carb cover, not a bad idea. I use the factory cover for my air ride switch location.

You did a great job keeping the bike lines and blending aircraft lines in the same bike. You didn't sacrifice either, and you didn't jam then together. Just well done.

Thanks, I’m glad folks notice what I was going for. I didn’t want to just jam parts on the bike and call it done. Everything on the bike was done to keep the flow of the bike. From the rake triple trees, the front fender which is a one off I cut down from a 3/4 fender, to the rear fender which was special made by a shop in Europe and sent to me, even the barons gas cap and rolled tank seam. The exhaust was the final piece. I wanted something that flowed with the curves of everything, Highway hawk was my first choice but they are extremely hard to find. Then I found this shop in Japan and really like this set. As for the paint, I wanted something simple with the pinup girl and stars, but also gets the idea across of what I was going for and also didn’t break the bank. I’ll do pods next and coat the inside of the exhaust to help them resist heat and discoloration/bluing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks, I’m glad folks notice what I was going for. I didn’t want to just jam parts on the bike and call it done. Everything on the bike was done to keep the flow of the bike. From the rake triple trees, the front fender which is a one off I cut down from a 3/4 fender, to the rear fender which was special made by a shop in Europe and sent to me, even the barons gas cap and rolled tank seam. The exhaust was the final piece. I wanted something that flowed with the curves of everything, Highway hawk was my first choice but they are extremely hard to find. Then I found this shop in Japan and really like this set. As for the paint, I wanted something simple with the pinup girl and stars, but also gets the idea across of what I was going for and also didn’t break the bank. I’ll do pods next and coat the inside of the exhaust to help them resist heat and discoloration/bluing.
Just a thought, bluing the pipes may actually look pretty good on that design.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a thought, bluing the pipes may actually look pretty good on that design.
Yeah, I agree, I don’t mind a little bluing, but these started yellowing/bluing with just 30min of running/riding. So I know I’m running lean, and the coating will help keep the bluing more gradual. These are high polished stainless pipes, so stopping the bluing isn’t going to happen. But I’d like to keep it to just the front 8”-ish sections. Plus these bigger pipes are a lot closer to my leg and and it’ll be alot easier to get burned by them. Also the coating should help keep the heat in the pipe and let less ambient temp by the engine and body parts.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
709 Posts
That’s a possibility, I’ll look in to it. As for the grenade, I have a couple of duds/trainers, I could maybe do something with. I made a shift knob out of one for a jockey shift setup I had on it.
Nice work. Grenades on an airplane themed bike? Your bike, but I think that would not look right.

You should get one of these though:

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
709 Posts
hes got the sticker of one.
I know, still doesn't make a grenade added as hardware look right. Could argue that a painted on pineapple grenade would be like the nose art on WW2 planes like the B17 and B-29.
But as I said, not my bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know, still doesn't make a grenade added as hardware look right. Could argue that a painted on pineapple grenade would be like the nose art on WW2 planes like the B17 and B-29.
But as I said, not my bike.
Yeah, I agree it could look off, I don’t wanna overdue the look either. Wanna keep it sleek and simple overall.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
709 Posts
Yeah, I agree it could look off, I don’t wanna overdue the look either. Wanna keep it sleek and simple overall.
Was thinking along those lines of keeping it sleek / simple, and wishing I had the know how to do that kind of work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts