Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Any of you out there upgrade from a 650 to a 1300? I found this and it looks like a great deal. any comments, concerns, feedback? I called the man selling it and it seems legit...however he is a used car salesman!
any help from the crew would be helpful.
I know its bigger, fuel injected and seems to get great reviews...price seems really attractive...anyone think this got wrecked or dropped and was repaired? Do the tank badges look correct? any concerns?

· Registered
425 Posts
Reaction score
You will love the increase in power over the 650. Fuel injected, runs much smoother, and a nicer ride. My buddy upgraded and it took him quite a while to get used to the bigger bike but he loves it. Not sure how you scratch a bike moving it around the garage. Also don't believe that in 15 years there's only been 5443 miles ridden on this bike (less than 400 miles per year). Also had a buddy that was taken in a scam. He bought a 2001 with supposedly less than 22,000 miles on it but when we changed the tranny fluid it was like molasses and when we took the rear wheel off it looked way worse than my rear that had 50,000 miles on it. Mechanic told him it was more likely the bike had 222,000 miles on it and odometer had been rolled back. As mathews6262 said, I would look for a bike shop or individual selling. This one don't seem right.

· Registered
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
335 Posts
Reaction score
I went this route and the difference is incredibly positive. I loved the 650 but going to the 1300 was like taking everything good about the 650 and making it markedly better. The ride was like the difference between a truck (650) and a luxury car (1300).

I did change to the later year touring handle bars and went with an ED big touring seat. Made long rides as ready as it gets. The factory bars are very wide and reach is very short. I'm 6ft and the reach killed my back before the handlebar change.
If you use any windshield, you will need lower wind deflectors. I used the National Cycle
Lowers and the Memphis shades lowers, and the worked equally well. The wind buffeting is almost intolerable with a windshield over 45mph. 95% of the buffeting comes from under the windshield.

· Registered
31 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for everyone's input. Is this the smallest engine size that the vstar is made as fuel injected? I do not want carbs anymore...i'm actually thinking of keeping the 650 to just have fun with; looking for a bigger interstate cruiser that's fuel injected and more stable on the highway.

I also noticed with bigger motor comes bigger bills, parts, battery, etc. and of course insurance. some of the drawbacks i guess.

· Registered
2008 v star 1300
847 Posts
Reaction score
V Star 950 is the smallest fuel injected model. '07 and later (I believe) Road Star is also FI. (1700cc). I also went from 650 to 1300, was absolutely crazy about my 650 ! I felt if I didn't go bigger, I was gonna drive her too hard and it didn't deserve that . Still miss it , but found a bike I have no intention of getting rid of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts