Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha VStar 1100 Silverado
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I know this has been beat to death, and I have read a lot of the different options as far as installing a usb charging port on my 2008 Yamaha V star 1100 Silverado.
I think I am going to install a cigarette lighter, then just plug in an adapter with a cord to my phone. My questions are:

1. If I do not have anything plugged into the cigarette lighter, will it still act as a parasitic drain on the battery?

2. Since I was just going to install the cigarette lighter should I connect it straight to the battery, with an inline fuse?

3. If I were to install it to a the headlight, so that it would only get power when the key is turned, do I go to the positive side to the battery and the negative to the light, or vice versa?

Sorry, I am not an electron mechanic but with a clear picture I am sure I could do it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hello all,
I know this has been beat to death, and I have read a lot of the different options as far as installing a usb charging port on my 2008 Yamaha V star 1100 Silverado.
I think I am going to install a cigarette lighter, then just plug in an adapter with a cord to my phone. My questions are:

1. If I do not have anything plugged into the cigarette lighter, will it still act as a parasitic drain on the battery?

2. Since I was just going to install the cigarette lighter should I connect it straight to the battery, with an inline fuse?

3. If I were to install it to a the headlight, so that it would only get power when the key is turned, do I go to the positive side to the battery and the negative to the light, or vice versa?

Sorry, I am not an electron mechanic but with a clear picture I am sure I could do it.

Thanks in advance
1. No. If nothing is plugged into it it would not be a drain on the battery.

2. That is an option. I connected my GPS that way. Just realize that there will always be power available there, even if the key and motorcycle are turned off.

3. Because all the metal pieces of the bike are connected (in one way or another), they are all ground (the negative side). You should always be switching the positive (hot) side.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who responded. I am going to use a good cigarette lighter and charger. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a couple of chrome ones off of amazon interesting side note there's a 2 prong plug that comes with it to connect from the fused battery pigtail which can be disconnected for winter trickle charging
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

Drinkware Automotive lighting Fluid Barware Liquid

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I got one that attaches to my battery tender cable. Since it is not in use I just stow it away in the bags. Although I admit I do not think I have used it since I got it. Its one of those nice to haves in case I get totally lost...but I also carry a phone charger that plugs into a regular electrical outlet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I finally have time to do this install. I have the cigarette lighter, as well as the usb charging port. The lighter has a built in fuse and the rings to attach to the battery. Seems pretty simple. How should I run the wires from the battery? Do I remove the tank first, then run from the battery box to the handlebars? Or can I get away with just running the wires and tucking them in neatly under the tank, without removing the tank? Just want to do it right the first time, without creating extra work. I saw a post before from Lesblank who had doe the same thing, but cannot find it now.

Thanks to all

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,933 Posts
I tapped into the driving light. Wanted a circuit that was key switched. Worked well for me, isthmus the thread you thought about?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi les, and thanks for the response. Yes that was the thread. I am still debating whether to run it directly from the battery or not.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,933 Posts
Removing tank it easy, take seat off, one bolt and fuel line. If you run under take I would zip tie wire to wire loom so it won't drop down on hot engine.

Reactions: Authentic Poser
1 - 12 of 12 Posts