Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase one to go with my new ISO grips. Have you used them and how do you like them if you did?

Thanks,
Cec

·
Registered
412 Posts
call, i don't have them but the reviews i read suggest they are comfortable. i love the way they look on big bikes. if you decide to get them, please post pics. :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Done. Installation was easy but I took the time to also adjust the clutch, throttle, light switches and to try the bar at different heights. Customizing it to me. The ISO grips and throttle boss is a seriously nice addition. It was in the mid thirties and sunny here today and I never really felt it. I also rode a short distance to my local watering hole for a celebratory drink, then (sober) drove home before freezing set in.

One mistake I may have made was to take off most of the additional items like windshield and saddle bags for cleaning. After they were removed I come to love the look without them.

Anyway, below are the before and after pics.

Streamlined. I love the look.

Then came the Star Bar and grips. Self explanatory but the original bars are the top ones. The SB came well wrapped and was a high quality piece of equipment.

New against OEM

Protecting the tank goes without saying.

OEM versus Star Bar

Finished look

Fini

Final thoughts: Will take some getting used to but after just a few miles I already like the new feel and handling. If that changes I'll say otherwise, but for now it was a relatively inexpensive modification with a big impact.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Looks good! I almost got some of those, but I went with beach bars instead. My buddy has a Road Star with beach bars and I like the feel of his, so I went the same route. I rode almost 500 miles yesterday and was quite comfortable.

Sent from my LG Motion, but not while riding!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Callred,
looks really nice - especially the grips! I sold my 650 yesterday...so I think I'll have to take a look at those grips - they look really nice on the bike!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Annie, I have no regrets on any of the modifications of the bars and grips. I can't honestly say if I'll need to add weights to the grips yet since the weather hasn't allowed any real riding. Maybe this weekend. But around town I've already come to love the feel of the entire new bar/grip combination.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Did they reduce vibration? I haven't run the bike I bought yet so I'm a bit worried about additional vibration as the engine is a lot bigger so I am eyeing those grips pretty seriously so let us know if you end up adding the weights (Sheesh I don't want to add any more weight to the bike than it already has!!!)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@wheels, you're welcome :)

@kroyleahcim, Yes they do. My wrists are down and out further in a more natural angle. It also allows my throttle hand to not be pivoted in a bend. I think each person of course will have different angles depending on the geometry of their own body and sitting style, but when I'm in a natural position for me, my right wrist doesn't have a twist to the right in it. It's much more aligned to my arm.

Less fatigue for sure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to wrap up this thread for the ones who are considering the bars....

I made a run last weekend in the hills with a Lot of twisties... and the extra control I had was amazing. They didn't feel right when I first installed them though, so I don't think I'd take a new set out on something like The Dragon's 300+ curves the first day.

Get some time with them on something gentle because it doesn't feel like the stock bars at all. Smaller movements make larger inputs.

Would I do it again? In a second. :) If you know anyone who needs a stock handlebar in great condition have them PM me .

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Very nice changes!
It looks like the new bars will move your elbows out slightly away from your body.

The ISO grips are very nice, I feel like I'm the only one left in the world that hasn't put them on yet,,,,,,YET.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Stratowart.. they do. Which is really why I bought them in the first place. Lowered my shoulders, spread my hands and elbows out and placed less angle on my wrists for a more aligned feel.

Still adjusting to them even now, but not complaining.

The grips themselves are a nice compliment to any bars I think. They do reduce shock and the throttle boss lets me ride with my right hand open and not clenched al of the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts