Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
after i emailed the ebay seller to look closely a the 5th gear on the used trany he cancled the order because it was pitted with only 8,000 miles on it. i guess some of the improperly heat treated gears are in 2005 650s also, oh well back to the hunt for a good used transmission, to buy just the 5th gear set costs 140.00 vs as low as 30.00 for a complete used transmission and to install a brand new 5th gear i'd to pay a machine shop to press it on the shaft

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
update on 5th gear set, i just looked at a 2007 used transmission with 8,000 miles and guess what the 5th gear set is just starting to pit, looks like i going with two new 5th gears and put em to my existing transmission. i can't find a used one of any year with low mile that's not pitting, i might just have my new gears shot peened so the'll last. i can't believe yamaha hasn't addressed this problem. fair warning any 650 owners will eventually have to replace them from what i'm seeing there all defective

·
Registered
35 Posts
are you sure it is pitting? sometimes the gear surface is slightly rough from machining and left that way from factory. aids in keeping lubed between the gears to help with wear.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
are you sure it is pitting? sometimes the gear surface is slightly rough from machining and left that way from factory. aids in keeping lubed between the gears to help with wear.
they ain't tiny pits that are uniform there very localized and deep. when i get mine out i'll post a pic, from the way they sound i'll bet they're really bad, they started to get kinda noisy at 30,000 miles and only got really loud for the last 2000 miles. i'm at 55,000 now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts