Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a lot of problems with my speedometer. Sometimes it doesn’t do the start sweep and often stops and doesn’t return to zero. I suspect a bad servo motor. I had similar problems with GM vehicles.
I was thinking about installing a used speedometer but was wondering if the bike will display actual mileage (10k) or the mileage of the bike the used speedometer came from. Anyone know?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,728 Posts
I'm almost sure since your speedometer and odometer is electronically controlled the ECM, so will show what the ESM had stored in memory. Could be wrong, hopefully someone has experience.

·
Super Moderator
6,771 Posts
I think ECM will do what Les stated, however it wouldn’t hurt to check with a Yamaha service tech to make sure, hopefully they won’t try to sell you a complete setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha XVS1100 Classic
36 Posts
The speedometer will show the bike’s mileage because that is where the information is stored and processed. That’s how there is the ability to use an aftermarket speedometer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What ever you do write your original mileage down in your manual and the back of new Speedo . I have done a lot of Speedo changes in my automotive career and most of them had to be calibrated from the manufacturer. But a motorcycle maybe different I’m not sure if the ecu on your bike has that capability or not but either way you still need a new one from the sounds of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had a lot of problems with my speedometer. Sometimes it doesn’t do the start sweep and often stops and doesn’t return to zero. I suspect a bad servo motor. I had similar problems with GM vehicles.
I was thinking about installing a used speedometer but was wondering if the bike will display actual mileage (10k) or the mileage of the bike the used speedometer came from. Anyone know?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased a used speedometer with 28k miles from an 09 1300. Unfortunately, when I plugged it in it retained the 28k mile odometer reading and didn't reflect my bike's actual 10k miles. I did take pictures and videos showing and explaining the swap and I will keep the bad speedo too. Now we know what happens for future reference. Thanks everyone for the advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts