Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Using Molex Connectors

696 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Hyde_me 
#1 ·
Hey gang,
Its time for me to start cleaning up my aftermarket wiring jobs on the bike.
I am going to make my own properly color coded and wrapped wire looms.
Question is has anyone had any experience with molex connectors?
I have been using them for vending and coffee machines for many years, but they always come as kits.
So there never is a question of wire gauge or impedance across the connections.

The connectors that I can source are rated in a way that I am not quite getting.

Is the rating saying the maximum amps I can draw thru is 12 amps and up to 250 volts?
That makes no sense as the wires are 18-24 awg and would not be able to handle the voltage.
Any thoughts?

See less See more
Reactions: KCW
#2 ·
Molex makes excellent connectors

For a vehicle get the ones with gold plated pins if at all possible.

The rating is correct. 18AWG wire can handle 16A for short (chassis wiring) connections
24AWG can handle up to 3.5A for chassis wiring

the pins will crimp properly from 24 up to 18 AWG

voltage is a function of the type and thickness of the insulation, not the wire gauge

for the connector the max voltage is a function of the spacing between the pins, how far it would have to jump from one to the other to arc / flash over.

BTW, you know this already if you use them, but for other potential users: you need a special crimping tool to put those pins on the wires - they are usually very expensive (over $100).

#3 ·
Yup, got the tool.
Thanks for the clarification on the amp v volt question.
The ones on the machines i work on are uniform in volts/maps and gauge. No thought involved other then length and routing for those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.