Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I took my '88 for a short ride around the neighborhood in about 35 or so degree weather and after about 10 minutes of riding the temperature gauge was almost in the red. Not sure if this is important but I let it idle for probably ten minutes before riding. My first thought was that the thermostat was stuck shut so I took it out and put it in water and it opened up right around 170°, so no problem there. However I'm noticing that despite all the coolant that drained out when I removed the thermostat, the level in the overflow doesn't appear to have changed. Am I missing something? Also, what should I look at next to determine why it's overheating? I'm thinking water pump but anything else? The bike has a new larger radiator and new coolant hoses, and I haven't had any issues with overheating for the couple hundred miles I've owned it. Also again I don't know if this is related but it seems to idle high; sometimes as high as 3k rpm...

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
water pumps normally dont fail by not circulating the coolant. They usually need to be replaced because the seals leak.

Im not sure what spins the waterpump on your engine, its possible that might have failed (belt, shaft, coupler, spine...?)

Radiators can become plugged over time, but I would think that would creep up on you gradually.

The overflow bottle might be stained the color of the coolant, look inside and make sure its really still full. I dont know what would keep it from draining. Maybe it only catches the overflow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts