Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '88 v-max sputters and loses power and will not stay running. The low fuel light stays on even though the tank is full. Also it takes an inordinate amount of cranking for it to fire. When it's about to stall, here's kind of a sucking noise coming from under the air box, so presumably the carburetor. It does have new plugs and a freshly cleaned carburetor. Any ideas?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds like the fuel line is mostly clogged. Not exactly sure how it's positioned and what parts are in the vmax myself though.
Could be alittle simple and the mesh filter in the gas tank just is full of crud.

If you leave it sit for a day, does it start up ok, or does that also take a lot of cranking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the fuel line is mostly clogged. Not exactly sure how it's positioned and what parts are in the vmax myself though.
Could be alittle simple and the mesh filter in the gas tank just is full of crud.

If you leave it sit for a day, does it start up ok, or does that also take a lot of cranking?
It takes allot of cranking for a cold start. I put some seafoam in the gas and ran it for a while but that doesn't seem to have helped

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Pull the fuel line off one of the carbs, turn the petcock on, the key on, the kill switch to LIVE, and see how much fuel flows out of the gas line.

If nothing is coming out you have a plugged fuel filter or your fuel pump is not working. There should be a steady stream coming out of the fuel line.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
If its not poor fuel delivery then I would start looking at the ignition. Start by putting a volt meter across your battery, and make sure you have 12V while the bike is running, and more than 11V when the starter is cranking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts