Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished tearing the bike down a little and balancing that SOB on the motorcycle jack was a PITA, I cut out little pieces of OSB to fill the void... Is there a trick or adaptor I am missing...

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Ive seen some photos and videos of motorcycles at the HD assembly line, and I think the yamaha factory.

They use an entirely different method for picking up the bike in the factory.

Its the same situation as working on cars - some people put a lift in their garage for working on cars, and some people use cinder blocks for jack stands and end up dead - and everything in between.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend, and how much you tear your bike apart to work on it.

The best solution is a lift that bolts to the floor, and bolts to the bike, so the bike cannot fall and the lift cannot tip over.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I picked up a small motorcycle/ATV jack from Harbor Freight for reasonable. Think it goes up like 18 inches. So works fine for the occasional tinkering. One thing that is nice on it is that it has loops on the jack frame for a strap to attach so you can cinch the bike down to the jack. You still have to be cautious since you do have several hundred pounds off the ground on just a small contact area, but the straps make me feel better. I would love to set aside the extra cash for the big table top type lift.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
VStars are notorious for not sitting nicely on jacks because the engine sits lower than the frame in places. I have an older jack my brother gave me and it would be nice to add some blocks to it to fit my bike, but I already have a helluva time getting it under as is because of the height. I have to hold the bike upright and try to wedge it under in just the right spot (usually requires 3 or 4 attempts doing it alone). Even doing that, it can still be a little wobbly so I always use a tie down strap when I'm working on it. I was hoping to lift it up for the winter so I wouldn't have to roll it around to keep the tires from flatspotting, but even with a strap around it I'm a little hesitant to leave it unattended all winter. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a lower profile jack that I can modify to work.

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
My jack is a tad high also. I have a 2x12 with the end cut on a 45 degree angle that I drive my front tire up on. You can still rest the bike on the side stand even with tire on 2x12. It makes the bike high enough to slide my jack under. I also have a piece of wood screwed on the jack top ends that I place where the jack hits the frame to accommodate the lower engine case, no weight is on engine, only frame. I will agree the bike seems a little rocky but never had an issue. I've changed tires, both off at same time, changed shock struts, replaced exhaust and other maintenance with my Harbor Freight jack without any issues. I've used this jack on several different bikes and each time some type of wood support on jack top makes it much easier. The other thing I found was finding that right spot to have the bike balance front to back as challenging. Once I found the sweet spot I took some Whiteout and marked the frame, the marks don't show unless you're under the bike. I've also used the same jack to pull transmissions, works pretty good. Be safe.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Good idea. I've used a floor jack to lift the front once or twice to get the bike jack under it but it's certainly not ideal. I'll have to try the wood block trick.

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Good idea. I've used a floor jack to lift the front once or twice to get the bike jack under it but it's certainly not ideal. I'll have to try the wood block trick.
Works good for me, remember I've got lowering links and back of bike is 1 inch lower. The board I have is an unfinished 2x12, so it's a true 2 inches thick.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I seem to recall once using a piece of 2x6 under the front wheel. It raised the bike enough to get the jack under but I needed help keeping it balanced. Maybe if I made something with sides on it that was secure enough to hold the bike while I drive onto and keep the bike upright (similar to some motorcycle trailers) it would raise it up and hold the bike in place. Hmmm... wheels are turning...

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Put a small piece of 2x6 under side stand to help bike stand up straighter. It will stay there pretty good to get jack under bike. I'm used to working alone and having to come up with ways to lift, move and push heavy items. Being short myself doesn't help much. 😀

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
You can put a stack of 4x4s or 4x6s under the frame on the right side of the bike, tip the weight tothe right onto the stack

then either stack some under the left side of the frame, or put some 2x4s under the kick stand to hold the bike up vertical.

I do this when changing the oil, removing the gas tank... its easier to do simple maintenance when the bike is vertical.

It might be a way to get a MC jack under the frame too, depending on where you put the stack of lumber.

How do those stands work they use on sport bikes? Is there a unique attachment point on the rear wheel swing-arm?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts