Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi To All;

I recently purchased a 2007 V Star Classic 1100 with 10,000 miles on it. It has been lightly modified with Slash cut Cobra pipes (previous owner had it jetted properly).

My question is this: I bought this bike in the hopes of doing some long distance touring on it, but in the few short highway trips I have made on this bike it seems very uncomfortable and loud at anything past 65mph. I have taken it up to 80mph but it sure is screaming at that speed and dying for a 6th gear. I am not all the way round the throttle and I'm sure the bike has a little more to give but the engine seems to be running real hard (high rpm) - is this normal?

My friend has a 1990's Virago 1100 (same engine) and can comfortably do 110mph - I know the V Star carries a few (100) more pounds - but does it really hold it back that much?

What sort of top comfortable touring speeds do you guys run at?

I am definitely not a speed freak but I like to go at least as fast as the other vehicles on the highway and as we all know if the limit is 70mph most people are doing 80mph +! Will the bike hold prolonged speeds of 80mph + without blowing up?

Finally if this is normal is there any way to change the gearing? I come from a sprocket and chain background where just 1 or 2 teeth can make a big difference - what's the scoop with shaft driven bikes?

Thanks for any and all input

Paul

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'll help you launch this thread by babbling some of my bulls**t::)

I had the help of some very respected machanics in my area when picking out my bike. They all agreed that our engine has a record for reliability and longevity. They repeatedly steared me toward the Vstars for that reason.

A quote from the mechanics (Yamaha certified)"...that engine will run at 6000rpm all day long and not break a sweat..."

I ride kinda like you, going with the flow of traffic. I find my best fuel mileage at about 65mph. Unfortunately, because of the exhaust tone, i find myself looking for sixth gear too. I would love to find some way to drop rpm at highway speed. Maybe we can come up with simple 'pumpkin' swap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sparky;

It's good to know that these engines are durable - I just wish the bike had a 6th gear and a tacho. you say that you were told that the bike could run a 6000rpm all day but without a tacho I have no idea where the bike is running at??

Here's a pic of my bike in the garage

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Looks good. Now that i've had my 'Custom' for a while i'm starting to like the 'Classic' look better. LOL.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
"... you say that you were told that the bike could run a 6000rpm all day..."

I'm sure that was the techs way of making his point that these are reliable engines, of course that's assuming i (we) don't plan on applying too much abuse from our end of the saddle. I have toyed with the thought of getting a tach just out of curiousity. I'm also thinking of trading up...that's another story.

·
Registered
211 Posts
somedays, usually when im real relaxed etc even 60mph or so seems to be revving too much to stay there comfortably... other days i whiz along at 80/85 for extended periods and think nothing of it.
the way i look at it is, the 650 i had topped out at 87 but id cruise at 75, therefore with a top speed of 110 on the 1100, one should cruise comfortably at 95mph!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Highway speeds

Horscroft,

I had an 1100 V Star for a while. Put 12,000 miles on it and made a couple of trips of over 3,000 miles and several days of over 500 and 600 miles.

I might say what the bike will cruise at and what is comfortable might not be the same. I did several Interstare rides where I didn't drop under 80. But noise was high and vibration was such the image in the mirrors wasn't clear. Although I felt little of this. Guess that's why thay call them cruisers. I feel a V Twin is at it's best at about 55 MPH. It is a very pleasant ride around that speed.

Most V Twins get pretty noisey at freeway speeds. I carry ear plugs in my bags. I agree you will not hurt the bike by running 80 or 85 all day long. You might want a windshield and some ear plugs. Your noise may well have been increased by opening up the air box and adding louder pipes. Although you probably gained a little power. You might feel better at the end of the day if you ride 70 to 75 MPH. Speed up to pass.

I have never been an advocate of a sixth gear. You drop the RPM but loose some power to pass without shifting gear.

Here is a link to a Dyno chart one of which is an 1100.
http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/yamaha_dynos.htm

As you can see 6,000 RPM is about max.

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the messages so far - I just wanted to know that what I was experiencing is normal.

Still really interested if there is a way to change the gearing - like I said I come from a (dirt biking) sprocket and chain background where changing a tooth or two makes a big difference?

Also does anyone know a of a good tacho' add on?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, at least be thankful you have the 1100 and not the 650. I love my 650 but riding at highway speeds isn't too much fun. According to a chart I found the 1100 runs about 3700 RPM's at 70mph. The 650 runs about 4800 RPM's at 70mph. Consider yourself lucky. I ride the highway once in a while but avoid it if I can. It really is too bad that Yamaha didn't gear these bikes a little higher so that cruising at higher speeds didn't sound like you were revving the hell out of your bike. Everyone says that the bike was built for that but why? Built to run at slower speeds maybe if you want to enjoy your ride. An overdrive gear or 6th gear would be great. You could always downshift if you need more power to pass or go up a hill. Sure you can run it hard and do it all day according to most but I'd rather feel like I'm cruising, not racing. Once the mirrors blur and the bike is vibrating it's not so much fun anymore.

I didn't get a bike to go on long trips and the 650 runs great at around 50-55mph which is what I usually ride on backroads and such. I just wish it ran like that at 60-65, it would make a hugh difference in comfort for the higher speeds. Overall, I'm still really happy with my V-Star 650 but if I could change one thing it'd be that it didn't wind out so fast. 5th gear comes quick. Not sure what you can do about a shaft drive to change that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
when i had the 650 i remember thinking that 2nd gear was useless, as if i accelerated hard out of first, 2nd would only give me another few mph before i'd be bouncing off the limiter and had to shift into 3rd.
they really should put a longer gear in there. but that was a 97 model maybe its different on newer ones

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That's good info to know about the 650.

Without dishing out some serious cash for a mechinist to cut some new gears for us i think our only other option is to find a larger diameter rear wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ride a 650 classic 2013 with cobra slip-on pipes. I want to upgrade to 1.1 or 1.3 but to share my experience the bike runs ok on highway, a bit loud, missing 6 gear, maxed at 150kmh 93mph (downhills +/- 10kmh) but steady no big vibrations with short stock windshield installed.

For advanced riders cruising on highway with 650 is not enough, it is however a great entry level bike , easy to work, and sounds cool. It also looks much like Harley but more reliable... ;)

I am not sure if trading for 1.1 is enough of an upgrade (highway) but I love Yamaha, very reliable, simple, lots of parts. I had a Suzuki before not a fan.

A few interesting notes about my own Vstar 650 experience:

1. Runs better with lower grade fuel. Max speed reduced with higher octane.

2. Aftermarket air filter works better for me performance wise.

3. Make sure to replace the fuel filter...

4. Short windshield allows better highway experience and speed.

5. Cobra slip-ons enhance the bike sound and... performance, and they are not expensive and simple to install.

6. 650's brakes are trash, be verrrry careful to avoid sudden breaks, try to not squeeze the handbrake all the way and balance with foot brakes. Obviously in emergency situations do what you see best, this is just my own thoughts 3 yrs riding 650.

7. Buy the spark plugs online they're not expensive, replacing them takes minutes, do it every season for better performance, I saw much imperoment (my experience).

(*) All is just my own experience and thoughts, hope it helps you as well.

Ride safe and ask the professionals (not me) for advice, use my points to ask your mechanic how to run your Vstar.:unsure:

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
518 Posts
While I can’t speak for an 1100 , I ride a 650 at freeways speeds of 70 - 75 MPH., she has no problem doing that all day. I have gone couple of hundred miles at those speeds and she doesn’t sweat it. I make a pit stop, gas up, use the restroom and continue. I totally agree with you, at those speeds she sounds loud and I get the urge inside me that she needs a 6 th gear. However with the proper maintenance it’s no big deal for a Vstar motorcycle. My bike’s engine sounds smooth, and sounds the same after all of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
;) I hear you and I love the look and sound of my 650 up to about 75mph but it's time for me to upgrade up the engine.

I am looking for owners of 1100 and 1300 to share their experience with that extra 20, 30 HP over 650's 40hp. If it does the trick at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
518 Posts
I’m looking for a second bike with a bit more juice, something in the 1700 or 1800 cc range. I’ve made my choice of what I want and when I find the right deal I’m going for it. But I’m still keeping my 650, she’s a great bike for riding around town and country side back roads.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I just cruise back country roads with my 1100, Hi r's but not crazy. Would like a 6th gear. To be honest on my 1800VTX i was looking for 6th also

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ride a 650 classic 2013 with cobra slip-on pipes. I want to upgrade to 1.1 or 1.3 but to share my experience the bike runs ok on highway, a bit loud, missing 6 gear, maxed at 150kmh 93mph (downhills +/- 10kmh) but steady no big vibrations with short stock windshield installed.

For advanced riders cruising on highway with 650 is not enough, it is however a great entry level bike , easy to work, and sounds cool. It also looks much like Harley but more reliable... ;)

I am not sure if trading for 1.1 is enough of an upgrade (highway) but I love Yamaha, very reliable, simple, lots of parts. I had a Suzuki before not a fan.

A few interesting notes about my own Vstar 650 experience:

1. Runs better with lower grade fuel. Max speed reduced with higher octane.

2. Aftermarket air filter works better for me performance wise.

3. Make sure to replace the fuel filter...

4. Short windshield allows better highway experience and speed.

5. Cobra slip-ons enhance the bike sound and... performance, and they are not expensive and simple to install.

6. 650's brakes are trash, be verrrry careful to avoid sudden breaks, try to not squeeze the handbrake all the way and balance with foot brakes. Obviously in emergency situations do what you see best, this is just my own thoughts 3 yrs riding 650.

7. Buy the spark plugs online they're not expensive, replacing them takes minutes, do it every season for better performance, I saw much imperoment (my experience).

(*) All is just my own experience and thoughts, hope it helps you as well.

Ride safe and ask the professionals (not me) for advice, use my points to ask your mechanic how to run your Vstar.:unsure:
Yea 1300 would be better, my 1100 seems the same past 75 mph any thing past that is loud and feels like the bike dosint want to run at that speed as if it needs a 6th gear. I bet the 1300 is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
I had an 1100 and now have a 650. Both will do whatever you need on a commute. But for distance cruising the 1100 is better. Kevinnabz I noticed this is your first post if you post in New Member Introductions we could get to know you better.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks 👍 I since got a 2007 Road Star Silverado 1700cc great bike, cruises nicely up to 170kmh on 5th gear without screaming...steady and overall feels great on the open road. I hear the 1300cc is comparable in most variables. Belt drive, carburetor, simple and reliable. Road Star switched to fuel inject @2008. Upgraded to Cobra slash cut slip-ons and going to rejet next month.

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
333 Posts
its governed at 100mph and down hill, i hurt my engine only doing it 5 miniutes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts