Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am somewhat tired of the wimpy sound of my stock exhaust...would like something somewhat louder but not too loud. I like riding 400 to 500 km a day and do not want to have to wear ear plugs to enjoy long ride. I have listened to a number of wave clip in the net and the one that seem to best suit my criteria is the Cobra speedster long. I'd like to get some feedback of anyone who has installed Cobra speedster long on the wheels or any other muffler.

Ride safe

:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am somewhat tired of the wimpy sound of my stock exhaust...would like something somewhat louder but not too loud. I like riding 400 to 500 km a day and do not want to have to wear ear plugs to enjoy long ride. I have listened to a number of wave clip in the net and the one that seem to best suit my criteria is the Cobra speedster long. I'd like to get some feedback of anyone who has installed Cobra speedster long on the wheels or any other muffler.

Ride safe

:D
I liked the PCS Monster Pros the best but my son put the Cobras back on after I gave him the bike.
I had cams and air kit on it and had the best performance with the PCS.
Jim

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Rejet?

I believe if you replace the complete exhaust you will need to rejet the carbs.

A thought on the sound. If your bike is an 06 or newer it has a cataleptic converter. If you just go to a slip on muffler with some baffels you will pick up some sound and maybe not need to rejet. By loosing te converter.

Dave

On second thought; I'm not sure about the converter in Cananda.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I believe if you replace the complete exhaust you will need to rejet the carbs.

A thought on the sound. If your bike is an 06 or newer it has a cataleptic converter. If you just go to a slip on muffler with some baffels you will pick up some sound and maybe not need to rejet. By loosing te converter.

Dave

On second thought; I'm not sure about the converter in Cananda.
Mine was an 02 it was jetted to the max and was rather fast, I put over 54K on it before going to the liner.
Jim

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The Monster Pro's will give you better HP numbers on the top end but the Cobra's, because of a tad more back pressure, will give you better low end torque. I have the Speedster Shorts and they are a little loud. I usually wear plugs with a beanie helmet. I think the Longs will suit you well as they put the sound further behind you and are a little quieter due to the length. You should consider doing a POD Mod if you haven't done one yet to get the most out of the pipe investment.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Monster Pro's will give you better HP numbers on the top end but the Cobra's, because of a tad more back pressure, will give you better low end torque. I have the Speedster Shorts and they are a little loud. I usually wear plugs with a beanie helmet. I think the Longs will suit you well as they put the sound further behind you and are a little quieter due to the length. You should consider doing a POD Mod if you haven't done one yet to get the most out of the pipe investment.
I had both the Cobras and the Mpnster Pro and with the cams and air kit mine ran better thruout the power range with the monsters on it but remember you have a lot more power set up like mine was.
Just my personal experience. Jim

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You could have made much more power by dumping the BAK for PODs. Getting rid of the stock intake plumbing and it's associated restrictions. Jetted with a BAK you're at 17.5 pilots and 117.5F/ 115.0R Main jets (Mikuni sizes). I run 22.5 pilots with 150.0 mains with the POD filters AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) of 12.5. Are you sure you were running a BAK? Shane over at SS Custom usually recommends his Chubbies when upgrading Cams to get enough air in, or you're wastin your money. Chubbies are POD filters.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-05.htm#Jetting-Settings

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-05.htm#Mod-POD-Kits

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Well I think that if you are going to change the exhaust then you have nothing to lose by gutting the last chamber of the O.E.M.
It is easy to do if you have the tools, and if not the tools are cheap.
And who knows:eek: maybe you might like them. Also I have a buddy or two with 1100s and the one's with the Cobra's sound much better then the set VH pipes

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I cant tell you about the speedsters but I have the cobra slashcuts. I find them to be loud enough but not too loud. I really enjoy them. I also rejetted my carb when putting them on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Cobra long shots and with the full baffles in it is really quite. With the ends of the pipes all the way back to the turn singles the sound is behind you and not a problem. I like to be heard because sometimes others don't see you but will hear you, so I have cut the baffles in half and flared them and it sounds great to me. Each to there own I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts