Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I rode the bike -- it's been 3 or 4 months now -- the bike had been sitting for about a month in the Florida sun. At that time the bike started, but if I cut the choke it would die. I had to use it and I rode for maybe 10 miles round trip, the wwhole way with the choke on full. The bike ran and shifted OK, but felt and sounded dull/weak. \r\n
What was the original problem? How bad now after anothr 4 months of no use out in the sun? And what should it run to fix, or can I do it myself?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
This is what I would do to start with: Dump all the old gas, fill with fresh and use something like sea foam or a good guality system cleaner, check plugs, replace if needed, check filters(but if the air filter was bad, it would be chokeing it's self). I believe that would be a few things to start with. Gas goes bad now pretty quickly without something like sta-bil or a like product. Hope this helps get you goin again. It does sound right off, to me, like gummed up carbs and/or bad gas.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Fuel filter

Don't forget to change the fuel filter. You can buy Sea Foam at Wall Mart. Use a half can with a fresh tank of gas. To clean it right the tank should be removed and the lines flushed out. If this doesn't do it then the carburetors will need torn down and cleaned.

Good luck.
Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
gas shellacked and plugged my carbs after not being run for a period of time. had to rejet and clean carbs and then it set for a while again befor i bought it used and when i tested before buying it would not idle and had to have choke all the way out to keep it running.

after several new tanks of high octane with sea foam and running it regularly, it now runs ok

hope you can get your carbs cleaned out so it runs good with proper choke, operating the bike with the choke on isnt recommended, but i know if the idle circuit isnt working well it is the only way the bike will run

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most definitely carburetor problems. Also check the air cleaner and all stock connections for leaks or loose hosing; check under the air box for the air intake units to insure they are not kinked or squished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts