Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever can solve this will receive my undying gratitude!

'02 V Star 1100 Classic with 20k miles. This has happened 4 or 5 times over the past few years.

Riding down the road - could be for 15 minutes or 2 hours - speedometer needle starts flopping wildly, then goes down to zero. LCD odometer display goes blank. Bike starts to miss and then sputters to a stop.

I have gone through 4 different aftermarket batteries. They get so drained from the bike running directly off the battery that they cannot "come back from the dead".

I have replaced the voltage regulator twice. After replacing it the bike may go for a year without a problem, or just 3 weeks before the problem resurfaces.

Bike is putting out the proper 14.5 volts to the battery when it is running properly - which is the majority of the time. All terminal connections are tight.

The dealer says the use of an aftermarket battery is my problem. It is his contention that I am overworking the voltage regulator because I am using batteries batteries with higher capacity (more CCA). I do not agree - I think it would work the voltage regulator less as it does not require as much charge because of the higher capacity.

He says my stator coil is fine and is putting out the correct amount of juice.

So far I have had to get towed from the middle of nowhere on the Needles Highway in SD, Stillwater, MN, and sundry other places. The lack of reliability is driving me nuts to the point where I'm thinking of dumping the bike.

I will be forever grateful for a solution!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Zeller,

I have a 02 Vstar that I bought last year. Within a couple of weeks I had the same issue with the speedometer but had no sputtering. I took it back in and was told that it was a loose connection to the speedometer; no issues since.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Charging

If the battery is good it should measure 12.7 volts with bike off. If the charging system is working the battery should measure 14 volts with the bike running maybe reved just a little.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but the speedometer is fine and the battery is new. This is some kind of intermittent gremlin that is causing the charging system to stop sending power to the battery. Only happened 5X in 3 years, but when it happens I am dead in the water.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Start checking, and cleaning all connectors, check for good ground at engine case, needs to be clean bright metal (no paint). You might also replace all fuses, could have a bad one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Doug,

I did check the ground connection to the frame from the battery and that is good. The fuses you are are referring to - are they located under the seat?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 03” V Star, where my tack and speedo went off line and my battery went dead. In “short” while traveling on the North Cascade Highway in February this year through lots of rain, a short time after the road trip I noticed that very situation accruing to my bike. It didn’t do it all the time and mostly after a rain. With a little help & encouragement from my friends I dived into the electrical connection where the voltage regulator and the other thing come together in one harness behind the cover plate on the port side and low, about the size of a small football where I noticed the harness was melted from shorting out from water. I replaced the harness and raped waterproof tape around the whole thing and haven’t had a problem since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolfie - are you referring to the harness that plugs into the voltage regulator, or one that is further away from the regulator? It's located under the cover plate that is directly below the battery cover plate, correct?

Hey, I hope you "wrapped" the waterproof tape instead of "raping" it! :)

Thanks for the tip - I'll look and see what I can see!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's the one, from the stator to the regulator. It is a three wire set in one harness covered in a rubber boot that is open at the bottom.
Your a funny guy!!! ;-P

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check your turn signal fuse

I have a 2001 1100 classic and had the same problem on my last road trip. I have a simple question. Do you have after market blinker lights or any thing like that. Mine was the fuse for the turn signals. I had a short in the wireing and it would blow the fuse but not completely. So i t was a simple fix for me hope this helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
sounds familiar--following a 100 mile ride four weeks ago, i got within ten miles of home and my electronic gages/lights turned off, speedo intermittently started going on and off, thankfully the engine continued running until i got home and then would not start. i charged all night with no benefit. i took to shop, they said the voltage reg and rectifier was bad and the battery was bad, the battery was less than one year old. well after much money and time i have my bike back, hope it runs for a while. i have been spending too much money on it lately. they checked the stator and said it was not bad but said it would have cost a lot more if it was bad

Hope you get yours fixed so you can resume riding, great to share our challenges and fun times together

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here...

2006 1100 Custom here with the same problem as the original poster. Zellerdude, did you find a fix?

I just bought a brand new after-market battery after mine went dead (which I don't think is related because it was going bad over the past several months). New battery worked great because my bike started right up. Took it for gas down the street and 5 minutes later everything went ape-**** (speedometer flopping around, odometer fading in and out, and the check engine light coming on and off). The bike was sputtering a bit, but I was able to gas up and ride home (with same issues). I bought this bike used back in September with very few miles. Had this issue on the freeway once (maybe twice), but it went away almost as quickly as it happened. It didn't go away this time. So, I guess I'll be checking the voltage regulator and rectifier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this forum and the identical thing has started to happen to my 02 V Star. I got the bike in 06 but this issue just started during a road trip in Michigan in July. It died while driving and a mechanic said battery was pooched. I put a new battery in from a Yamaha dealership but later that day that battery didn't have enough juice to start the bike. I pulled the headlight fuse and push started it for the rest of the trip. I took it to the the local Yamaha dealership and they said I was sold a bum battery and sold me an aftermarket battery and ensured that the charging system was fine. This past weekend, while on another road trip, the same thing happened. I pulled the headlight fuse and the bike ran well the rest of the trip. Any ideas as to where to begin?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2000 V Star 1100 Classic with the exact same problem. Put a new Yamaha battery in this spring. Noticed the battery was getting very hot and when I pulled the cover the battery was bulging and too hot to touch. Bought a new after market battery, charged it and installed it. Checked the voltage and found it to be 18.8 -19.2 volts. I've ordered a new rectifier/regulator and will install it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

From reading the posts here it sounds like something else may be causing the regulators to fail. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
they don't have real good airflow. If you can you should try to mount it where you can get airflow. I saw an extender harness online but can't remember the site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts