Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends,

I own a 2003 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom which is untouched i.e. everything stock.

I want to get some work done on the bike this year and the list is as follows:

1. Replace stock pipes with slip-ons or change the exhaust system completely.

Ive done some research and the decision is still not clear. Should I change the full pipe or should I get the slip-ons. The reason I want to do this is because the motorcycle sounds dangerously soft on the road.

If I get slip-ons, do I re-jet the carbs? Is that recommended or a necessity?

I assume it would be a necessity if the entire exhaust system is changed.

2. Add new tires.

This is long overdue and ive got 30k on the stock Dunlops. Any suggestions on a decent pair of tires? I was thinking Metzeler 880. I was looking at motorcycle-superstore.com but other websites / stores welcome.

3. Install Hypercharger or change Air Filter

This one may be more cosmetic than helpful but id love some input. I read a lot online about how these increase the power in a bike but wouldn’t a K&N air filter do almost exactly that? Maybe not as much but pretty close? If you have added a hypercharger on your bike and noticed a world of difference - I wanna know.

Also, would it be better to get 1. and 3. done together since re-jetting the carbs will definitely need to be done if a Hypercharger is installed? Am I right?

Your responses and comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

·
Registered
570 Posts
1. Just buy a full exhaust. Slip-ons do little for power and if you buy new - cost roughly the same as a full exhaut.

2. Can't comment on the Metzelers - never had, always heard good things though.

3. Don't bother with either. KN Air Filter makes no difference. Hypercharger is a small difference, but for less money you can get yourself a nice set of Pod filters and get much more power. (Check out http://www.sscustomcycle.com/products/engine/v-star1100.shtml or http://www.metric-magic.com/DragonsBreath.htm )

I had a KN Filter and V-H slip ons..No big difference from stock. The slip ons had a nice sound underload but were pretty quiet at idle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3. Don't bother with either. KN Air Filter makes no difference. Hypercharger is a small difference, but for less money you can get yourself a nice set of Pod filters and get much more power. (Check out http://www.sscustomcycle.com/products/engine/v-star1100.shtml or http://www.metric-magic.com/DragonsBreath.htm )
Whoa! That Dragon's Breath looks badass! I wonder how much i'll have to shell out for installation. I'm in Toronto, Canada and toys are pretty expensive to maintain here.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would recommend doing 1 and 3 together.

Hypercharger makes little difference, it's mostly cosmetic. If you would like more power I would go with the POD's as recommended. :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would leave the exhaust alone and just cutout the bafles. That sounds better than most new systems. It won´t cost you anything. Then do a pod kit and rejet. OH, you should plug your AIS before you rejet, too.
The pods will up your power and improve the look and the removal of the AIS will help the look on the other side.
I use Pirelli front and back. Good milage, good ride and I put in Dynabeads to get moe milage out of the tires.
Good luck with your Project and let us see some pics as you progress

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
It all depends on your budget. I'll start off with the tire question, I ride Metzeler 888's and find they have good grip in the wet and are very smooth. Other people I know ride the Michelin commander 2 and they love them. Check out the prices.

I'm going to be installing a pods set up from SScustoms to go along with my V+H slipons (budget doesn't allow full exhaust at this time). The hyper charger looks nice but imo it's mainly esthetic.

So there you go anothe POV ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Have the Metzeler's as well. Like them a lot. Much better than the Dunlop's I had previously.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the great responses so far.

My tire config is as follows:

Front tire
110/90-18 M/C 61 H

Rear tire
170/80-15 M/C 77 H

I would love a pair of Commander 2's but they don't come in the front tire size (i think). Metzeler 880 is the only decent pair ive found.

As for the pods, are they easy to install? How long do you think it would take a dealership to install them.

I'm from Toronto so (when the weather improves) i'll get everything shipped to a shop across the border in NY and have them install it all in one go.

Due to the nature of the upgrade i.e tires + pipes + air supply + rejet i think my wallet is going to get stretched a bit thin.

To offset that I'm thinking for going in for Jardine Drag Slip-Ons

I can get them for $165 and free shipping on motorcycle-superstore.com

Thoughts? I don't want to cheap out on tires.

Also, for the readers from NY state do you have a mechanic or a shop you trust?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents that's worth 1 cent: 1) Tires are crucial. Do those first. Not even a debate. I had Dunlops twice and got great performance so much that I stuck w/ them every time I replaced. Can't speak for the brand you listed. 2) K&N I agree is a waste. I've changed them out on several bikes and never could tell a difference at all. And the hypercharger seems cosmetic only. I've heard unless you dyno those things out & spend some serious money on performance then they are pointless. 3) Exhaust: You can remove the baffle in your factory pipes. It's a pain but it's free and definately is louder. Frankly, I saved up $400 and just bougth new exhaust (don't bother w/ slip ons). New pipes just change the overall look of your bike...that's assuming you arent' crazy about your stock pipes of course. But you will want to rejet your carbs if you remove baffles / change pipes. The kit is $15 and my local dealer charged me $75. (I won't touch carbs).

Good luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I put the MaxAir pod filters on. comes with the jet kit. I used a 1 7/8 hole saw for my pipes. looks cleaner than the one shown above. eventually, I will either have my pipes made or get a full set (more performance, only a little more money in comparison to slip ons). I personally love my Dunlop 404s. I have a buddy who had a hypercharger (not trying to beat a dead horse) and it is a PITA to get them dialed in right (lots of money for testing too). if the looks is what you want, you can get a pod kit, then replace the stock air filter cover with a hypercharger shell. you can even rig up the butterflys to the carb too so it looks like its a working hypercharger. I guess that's my 2 cents (or 3 or 4 cents)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it looks like jetting is definitely required after you touch anything exhaust or air filter related.

Does removing baffles from a stock bike work on a 2003 V Star 1100s? The author of this article has a disclaimer about 2006 V Star 1100s.

I want to save money but i don't want to be 'penny wise and pound foolish'...lol

·
Registered
570 Posts
This will not hurt your bike.

Can anyone tell me if doing this will be harmful to my motorcycle?

http://www.vstar1100.com/jack_phelps/vstar/exhaust.htm
I guess I said it at the beginning. Nearly everyone i have talked to who ownes an 1100 has done this bafle removal. It is easy, takes some time, but tghe end result is a nice sound. Rejet afterward because you have unbalanced the intake and output of the carbs pressure.
Go for it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Front tire
110/90-18 M/C 61 H

I would love a pair of Commander 2's but they don't come in the front tire size (i think). Metzeler 880 is the only decent pair ive found.
If your bike is completely stock then they make Commander II's for them. However, when I bought mine a lot of places were out of stock.

Also, my manual says that the front tire is 110/90-18M/C 61S

·
Registered
354 Posts
K&N is a great idea if you need to replace a stock air filter. Slip on and K&N are what ive done not worth power gains. Jetting will help I'm sure but spend money wisely pods seems to give the biggest bang for the buck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to remove the baffles this season - fairly soon.

Does anyone have a link to any videos out there?

All i've seen are posts and articles with limited pics. What i'm getting confused about is how many layers to drill into. Will drilling out the first layer which shows outside be enough to jiggle the baffles and take them out or will I have to go further in with a screwdriver?

My bike is a 2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

Cheers all and hope everyone is riding safe!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Lol. If yadecide to do that invest in a hole saw designed for metal. You will have a much easier time than this dude.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did the hole saw mod on my '03. Took like 10 minutes. There are 2 layers of metal you have to saw through and the second one is about 1/4" further in than the first. There are lots of how to videos on You Tube, just do a search "V Star 1100 exhaust mod". Like mentioned earlier, get a quality hole saw for metal.
Second link is more complicated than the hole saw mod.

This link has some decent directions. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
http://www.vstar1100.com/exhaust.htm

1 - 20 of 38 Posts