Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Can someone explain the Rev Limiter on a V Star 1100? I purchased an 07 1100 with 4k on it for $4500 and twice when passing it starts to missfire and cough.

Am I winding it up to high and the Rev Limiter is kicking in? Seems too soon but otherwise the bike runs great. Thank you.

SS

·
Registered
37 Posts
try new plugs, i have had alot of luck with NGK, and 93 octane fuel. helped me ive been running like that for 6500 mile so far no trouble. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey,

Can someone explain the Rev Limiter on a V Star 1100? I purchased an 07 1100 with 4k on it for $4500 and twice when passing it starts to missfire and cough.

Am I winding it up to high and the Rev Limiter is kicking in? Seems too soon but otherwise the bike runs great. Thank you.

SS
If your bike is in stock form, it doesn't take vary long before you hit the rev limiter. Unless you have a tachometer on your bike. Its going to be hard to tell when your going to hit the rev limiter. I think the rev limiter kick in at 6200 rpm's. I would say since your bike runs good, your hitting the rev limiter. But on a side note, even if your bike still runs good, you just might have a vacuum leak. You might pull your plugs and see how they look. They should be a tan color if the bike is tuned right. Which all 1100's are lean from the factory any ways.

·
Registered
410 Posts
1100 rev limiters

the rev limiters on the 1100 shut off fuel 1ooo rpm before redline of 6800. The can be disconnected although I do not recommend this if you don't have a tach. If disconnected they will cause the check engine light to come on. Maxair offers a kit to disconnect the limiters and also keeps the light off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
or go to radio shack get 2 33 ohm resisters cost 1$ cut wires from fuel shut off solenoid on both sides of the carb. solder one to both wires connect bottom of resisters and solder a illet for a ground and i put mine on the bolt to the valve cover check engine lite goes off

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
There's two different things at work here. 1) the rev limiter that works the ignition circuit. 2) the fuel cutoff solenoid that shuts off fuel earlier than the rev limiter. This is accomplished to keep the bike from dumping raw fuel into the exhaust and catalytic converter when the rev limiter kicks in. I wouldn't mess with either unless a) you have aftermarket pipes and no catalytic converter to burn up, then disabling the fuel cutoff makes sense. b) you do some serious mods (Hi Compression pistons, Cams and or Head work) that will give you power up past the factory rev limiter and then only with an aftermarket ignition box that lets you set a higher limit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys could the Rev Limiter malfuction and cut off the rear cylinder plug from producing a spark?
I have checked and change everything on my 05 VStar 650 and nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
try new plugs, i have had alot of luck with NGK, and 93 octane fuel. helped me ive been running like that for 6500 mile so far no trouble. Good luck!
It's my belief that you're wasting your money with the 93 octane fuel. These are not high compression engines. I put a Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust and ram air intake system on my 2003 1100 Classic along with rejetting. Not only did performance increase dramatically, as was expected, but my mileage also improved. I went from 285 Kilometers to 320 Kilometers to out of gas! That's something I didn't expect. My only complaint is the noise. It's loud but I'm afraid to mess with it for fear of reducing the performance. Especially the increased travel distance. Custom made earplugs were my solution to the noise. It's bearable for the neighbours if I keep the revs down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts