Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this bike BUT when shifting to higher gears the bike seems to grab the gears to late or too soon so that there is always a slight bump when it engages. No matter what I try it will not shift smoothly. My prior bike was a Harley Sportster.

A friend told me I need to shift a lot sooner with this bike and not not roll out the gear. Any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
354 Posts
As a former Harley owner I can tell you these bikes are a little different. I think what your feeling is just the shaft drive. ON the harleys the belt drive would absorb some of the drive line shock when changing gears these shaft drives do not but offer a smoother overall operation. Still check all your fluids like your diff gear oil make sure everything is full.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I questioned the shifting on my 2005 1100 Silverado, but have just learned to live with it. It is definitely a long throw shift action, and this, combined with the wide clutch actuation range, and the drive shaft reaction makes it feel a little odd. Now I just make sure I have the shift lever set at the best height for me, and give it a good boot every shift. A little disappointing in a Yamaha, but I have gotten used to it, and I love the bike, so............... This is old technology. Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts