Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2006 V Star 1100 Silverado won't start. It has about 15800+ miles on it.

I rode it last Friday from work (in rain). It kept sitting on whole weekend and on Monday it won't start. I changed the Spark plugs (since they have not been changed since I bought it at 7000 miles). I also ensured Battery is fully charged.I can hear the starter turning, making a whine, but no ignition. The starter is turning i think, but what could it be?

I have been reading about this problem, and I have been reading a lot of cases of Starter Clutch going bad for this model, and at about this mileage.

I have an appointment with the motorcycle mechanic for May 20 (its a bummer, that I do not have enough mechanics here, Iowa!), but is there anything I can do to cover the basics, at least?

I am no expert in working on a motorcycle, but had changed Oil and Filter (which is a pain for this model), spark plugs, gear oil etc.

Another question: If it is indeed the Starter Clutch issue, should I buy the OEM @$400, or go with the after market ones from Ebay etc (@ $100)? Any suggestions/recommendation for After Market?
What is the life of these Starter Clutches usually?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
We need more information in order to help you more. As tre607 asked, is the motor turning over or just the starter spinning freely?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. I am not sure how to tell the difference between Starter and Starter Clutch (Apologies for not being knowledgeable here). I was thinking to wait until the mechanic investigates it, which as I said is May 20.

But you guys give me hope!

What I will do is record a Video of how my motorcycle behave and post it here.

It will be great if you can tell by the sound of it what's going on, or what should I check first. I will upload a video by tonight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just googled bad starter clutch and it sounds a lot like what you've got going on.. :(

Maybe the video above will help?

GL!

eGo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links and recommendations

Do you think i should get the OEM ones or after market? What is usually life of these?

I know i have been (unknowningly) using throttle a lot when starting up a cold engine, which may haveto add to this condition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply, Corsair.

Do anyone know life on these? I am trying to weigh my options of replacing with an OEM vs After Market.

Also, Is anyone aware of how much the mechanic would charge to do the replacement?

I have a few sources for the OEM Replacement kit

1. AMAZON: $365
http://amzn.com/B005IGNZC6

2. Ebay: $249.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VStar-V-Star-XVS-1100-XVS1100-Update-One-Way-Starter-Clutch-Damper-Kits-99-09-/321661598035?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

(The seller claims its NEW OEM Product.)

Let me know!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just watched a video on how to replace a starter clutch and there's a lot of work involved. So I would go with OEM replacement parts just because of the amount of work involved. I personally buy everything from Amazon without any problems. I haven't bought anything within the last 10 years from eBay but when I did buy from eBay I didn't have any problems with any of the sellers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts