Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a newer bike, currently riding a 1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special.

I like both the V Star and Road Star and was just wondering if there is any big differences besides engine size between the two lines of motorcycles.

Thank you,

Steve

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Hi -

I deleted your other thread as it was repetitive and this one gives more (helpful) information.

The current Roadstar's are 1700ccs. Older ones like my 2003 are 1600ccs and about 750 pounds wet. I haven't actually ridden an 1100 or 1300 - only sat them. Love my Roadstar.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Depends which V Star you're talking about. The 1300 is liquid cooled, while the Road Star is air cooled. Next biggest difference that comes to mind for me is that the cruising RPMs of the Road Star are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the V Stars.

My 1600 just rumbles and bumbles happily along at 70 mph. It makes me imagine a big 'ole grizzly bear, poking around looking for something to snack on. Always having some enormous power on reserve, available at a moment's notice. The V Star's higher RPMs make them seem like they're in a hurry at highway speeds. Just my $0.02.

I've scraped my Roady's foot boards a number of times in the twisties, and I suspect that's less of an issue on the rest of the Star family, although some adjustment of the suspension will probably assist me in the matter. Scraping those things has this visceral, nails on chalkboard feeling for me. It makes me cringe even when I know it's about to happen.

The better question to be asking, is probably what kind of riding you're planning on doing. Your current bike is definitely more similar to the V Stars than the Road Star. I bought one because I WANTED the differences I could expect from the Roadie. YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride to work and back which is a 40mile commute one way, with the occasional rides on weekends.

Most is not interstate riding, but there is some from time to time.

Is the floor boards scrapping because the road stars are lower?

Guess I am just wondering what the differences are being that I am still new to riding(3rd year).

Thank you,

Steve

·
Registered
332 Posts
I ride to work and back which is a 40mile commute one way, with the occasional rides on weekends.

Most is not interstate riding, but there is some from time to time.

Is the floor boards scrapping because the road stars are lower?

Guess I am just wondering what the differences are being that I am still new to riding(3rd year).

Thank you,

Steve
I think quite a bit of it might just be the weight. When I roll off the throttle at 70 on my V Star, it slows down to 55 in no time. Big Ruby maintains that inertia and I end up hitting the corner with a little more speed than I would on the other bike.

It just feels less agile to me, but a more experienced rider won't have the problem, I'm sure.
The Road Star just takes more skills in the twisties.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The V Star's higher RPMs make them seem like they're in a hurry at highway speeds. Just my $0.02.

I've scraped my Roady's foot boards a number of times in the twisties, and I suspect that's less of an issue on the rest of the Star family,
I only have limited V Star experience but here's my input:

I catch myself wishing my 99 1100 Custom had a 6th gear...just feels lacking

My boards are constantly scraping...but I come from sportbikes so my lean is I would say...excessive :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
My boards are constantly scraping...but I come from sportbikes so my lean is I would say...excessive :)
Your username made me laugh after reading that sentence.

It's actually reassuring to know that so many people scrape the boards. It is such a grating noise that I was afraid I was hurting something. Some guy at my work said "I've pretty much grinded mine off, Bro."

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Honestly the only one that can tell which they would like best is you. We don't know what kind of riding you plan, what is comfortable for you, what ergonomics you prefer......all we can do is offer an opinion totally biased by the things we happen to think are important to us....not you.

The only way to tell which bike is best for you is to go ride them......they are both great bikes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel the 1100 is underpowered and under geared. But thats just me. I cant stand taking my 1100 on the freeway, but love it for cruises through the backroads. If it just had one more thing, Id wish for a 6th gear. God knows I try to hit 6th gear enough!
I believe one of the improvements on the 1300 as compared to the 1100 was taller gearing in 4th and 5th gear.

Regardless, the 1100 does turn some RPMs at speed, but it's a short stroke engine and there isn't any known way to get around it.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Believe it or not, the HP for a 1600 Roadie and a V Star 1100 can be pretty close. Bone stock the 1100 is just under 60 HP and the Roadie is about 63. The roadie obviously provides more torque on the low end, but the 1100 provides a bit better performance at the top end. With a couple of relatively inexpensive mods to both...you're in the low 70's HP with either one.

The Roadie is heavier and built to chug along at freeway speeds at a lower RPM. The 1100 is just a faster spinning motor. If you aren't comfortable with the extra RPM's, the Roadie is definitely the way to go. If you prefer riding the twisties and use the bike in town a lot, the 1100 is a bit easier to handle because of the lighter weight and maneuverability.

Other than that.... I'll stick with my first comment.....it's up to the rider to decide what bike will be best for them. They are both very well built motorcycles.....and I'd be happy to have either one in my garage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As some have said, the 1100 feels like it needs another gear and a little more power. I don't like riding it on the highway for any distance as it
feels like it's maxing out. I have also tried to hit that "6th gear" many times. I had it re jetted but this only helped a little. I wouldn't do any long distance trips riding on my 1100 but it's great for city and secondary roads.

·
Registered
458 Posts
man I am going to be as straight forward as possible.

I have had an r6, and r1, a gsxr 750, a star 650, an xv 650, still have my 1100 classic, and now my roadie.

With all the street bikes I have had nothing will ever touch the power of the sport bikes.

But with that said my 1100 low seat height peppy to rev like a sport bike. You aren't shifting as soon as you hit the gas out of first gear like the roadstar. In all honest efforts from 1-3 gear my 1100 is just as fast if not faster than my 1600 roadstar but after that the roadstar takes over big time.

I feel like I fall into the 1100 now after riding my roadie it sits way lower seat hieght wise. If your short thats GREAT for you. On the highway the roadstar is just a perfect cruiser plenty of power to pass in 5th and it just feels more dominant on the road.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Lots of roadstar riders scrape the boards. It's a low bike (ergo why I love it). I've had it three years and never scraped. My boyfriend is a sportbike rider and has scrapes them a couple times when riding it - especially with me on the back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts