Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I found a beautiful 2007 Yamaha 1100 with 32,000 miles for sale for $1400.00. The owner says it needs a battery, tires and a new head gasket on the front cylinder. The chrome, paint, seat and everything is in great shape and was always brought to a certified Honda garage. I tried talking him down and he offered to deliver the bike if I pay full asking price. First, is it even worth buying ( I am looking for a project bike to keep my busy), How easy/difficult is it for the head to warp, is it safe to ask him to send me a video of the bike running for a few seconds and not make it worse, and is there anyway to see if/how bad head is warped without taking the head off, ( more then likely not a way to find out that way). I have been looking for a V Star 1100 for a few years now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Couple of things: does he have a battery to start the bike with to show it running? If so, it can be run for a very, VERY short time. Just keep in mind that oil will leak badly. Second, as far as changing the head gasket, that can be accomplished in a few hours, ok maybe a long day, with the right tools and some knowledge. Others here, I guarantee will start sending you videos and manuals on how to do so. I am curious though, and you should be as well, as to what caused the head to warp. Was the bike run into the red line more than it should have been? Did the bike sit in traffic and overheat as air cooled bikes have been known to do? Was the bike hot and run through a three foot puddle of water? I would find this out as there may be other damage to the engine associated with this. Just a suggestion. I will say, $1400 is a good deal and if worse comes to worse, a replacement engine can be had for a reasonable price if you have the time to find one. Good luck in your journey and keep us posted>

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I agree with @safetyart06. If it helps i bought an 01 1100 classic 3 years ago for $2500 with 33ooo miles on it. If you are looking for a project sounds like a good one. The rest of the bike is pretty bullet proof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts