Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
So - now that I have the bike....

Are there any shortcomings, issues, gotchas about these bikes that I should be aware of?
The stock 1300 has the propensity to be a little jerky at low RPM. This is due to the Federal requirements on emissions that Yamaha has to meet. The fuel/air mixture at low RPM is too lean. I installed a Jack's O2 mod and that cured the problem. They cost about $50. Augie

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. You will have jerking and lagging but......do yourself a favor and don't get a tuner and get the ecu flashed. You won't regret it. http://ivansperformanceproducts.com/vstar13.htm
The stock 1300 has the propensity to be a little jerky at low RPM. This is due to the Federal requirements on emissions that Yamaha has to meet. The fuel/air mixture at low RPM is too lean. I installed a Jack's O2 mod and that cured the problem. They cost about $50. Augie
I have noticed when going slow in either 1st or 2nd gear it's a little funky. Kind of lurches or jerky. Feels like I need a 1-1/2 gear :)

So two suggestions I see - a flash of the ECU or the Jack's O2 mod.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Ivan's ECU flash is the a top of the line mod for optimum performance.

The Jack's O2 mod is great for me since it fixes the only complaint I had with the 1300. I'm a very conservative rider riding the twistys of Pennsylvania. I seldom get on the big roads. I ride between ten and twelve thousand miles a year.

The Jack's O2 mod is $50 and the Ivan's mod is about $350.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts